Popups - AOL

david_kelsey

Am I the only person who is getting continual full page popups from AOL
pushing their broadband? I have mailed Google, who say they are working on
it, and also AOL, telling them I consider it a gross invasion of privacy and
shameful on the part of a presumably reputable company like AOL. That last
bit is tongue in cheek, of course. The windows popup under Outlook Express,
as a rule, but sometimes under The Daily Draw. They are usually, but not
always, the bottom window.

I have blocked both addresses used in internet security, but this does not
appear to stop it. What will it take to stop them?

David Kelsey

AnnonUser

david_kelsey said:
Am I the only person who is getting continual full page popups from AOL
pushing their broadband? I have mailed Google, who say they are working on
it, and also AOL, telling them I consider it a gross invasion of privacy and
shameful on the part of a presumably reputable company like AOL. That last
bit is tongue in cheek, of course. The windows popup under Outlook Express,
as a rule, but sometimes under The Daily Draw. They are usually, but not
always, the bottom window.

I have blocked both addresses used in internet security, but this does not
appear to stop it. What will it take to stop them?

David Kelsey
You could change your ISP to get away from ALL the proprietary content
and popups.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

For browser popups: use a popup blocker. I like http://toolbar.google.com ,
myself.

If you're getting popups in which the message title reads "Windows Messenger
Service", you haven't got your firewall enabled - do so ASAP. Messenger spam
isn't in and of itself a problem (well, it's annoying, but not
life-threatening), but if you have no firewall protecting your computer from
the Internet, you're going to have far worse problems.

Also see "Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search
Engines":
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

I'm confused as to your mentioning Outlook Express. If you're getting spam,
you're just getting spam - there are plenty of filtering products out there.
I don't know what The Daily Draw is, either.

Why are you emailing google, btw? I don't see what this has to do with them
at all.

Mark

Install another browser like MyIE2 (which is an IE shell just as AOL is) and
activate the popup blocker. I've never gotten a popup since minimizing AOL
and using another browser on the connection.

Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

AOHell is a LOT more than an IE shell. It is the most invasive program that
you can install on your computer. It breaks/disables many other system
pieces. It touches too many parts of the operating system. It is integrated
into the system far more deeply than I.E. is. It is CRAP!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

John Ski

Subject: Re: Popups - AOL
From: "Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 6/20/2004 12:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time

AOHell is a LOT more than an IE shell. It is the most invasive program that
you can install on your computer. It breaks/disables many other system
pieces. It touches too many parts of the operating system. It is integrated
into the system far more deeply than I.E. is. It is CRAP!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
Well...that was so helpful to the OP. Thanks so much for sharing! Are the
hemmorhoids feeling better now that you've relieved yourself into the NG?

Cheers,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

Wasn't trying to be helpful to the O/P. Was just pointing out Mark's error!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

david_kelsey

Google point out, quite reasonably, that AOL popups happen when I am in
Outlook Express or the Daily Draw, when the Google toolbar and popup blocker
are not running. Makes sense.

I still wish there was some way to force AOL to stop. A giant DOS perhaps?

David Kelsey

david_kelsey

And I'd still like to know why the security settings I am using do not block
AOL - it should stop the URL altogether.

David Kelsey

david_kelsey

I think you have misunderstood my post. I do not and never have used AOL,
and I won't voluntarily allow them near my machine. My ISP is Metronet, who
have nothing whatsoever to do with AOL.
David Kelsey

david_kelsey

I do use the Google popup blocker. They have just advised me that the
toolbar must be running for the blocker to work. In future I will open the
IE window before using Outlook Express, which should stop the AOL popups.

I am not getting Messenger Service popups - whatever made you think that? I
disabled Windows Messenger Service many months ago, since I do not have a
network, and therefore have no need of it. I have never heard of spam in
Windows Messenger Service. Perhaps you meant MSN Messenger. And I do have
a firewall protecting my computer. I hope a firewall wouldn't stop genuine
Messenger Service alerts.

I mentioned Outlook Express simply to indicate where the AOL popup occurs -
underneath Outlook Express. I never said anything about spam in my mail.
The Daily Draw is just another daily lottery, and I mentioned it only
because the AOL popup popped up under it too.

I e-mailed Google, obviously, because Google have a popup blocker which
appears not to block AOL's popups. I had previously mailed them about two
other popups, and sent them the source code etc., and they have now been
successfully blocked. And they have since given me the answer to the AOL
problem, as in the first paragraph above.

David Kelsey

Al Smith

Google point out, quite reasonably, that AOL popups happen when I am in
Outlook Express or the Daily Draw, when the Google toolbar and popup blocker
are not running. Makes sense.

You use Outlook Express, and you're complaining about pop-ups?
LOL. Pop-ups were made for people like you. Pop-ups will seek you
out the way the swallows find Capistrano.

If you want some good advice, for free ... stop using Outlook
Express. Just pretend that it no longer exists on your computer.
Use another mail and news client, such as Thunderbird. There are
many free mail&news clients available, and with them, it is harder
to download malware and viruses and trojans than with Outlook
Express, even for those who don't know what they are doing.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

david_kelsey said:
I do use the Google popup blocker. They have just advised me that the
toolbar must be running for the blocker to work. In future I will
open the IE window before using Outlook Express, which should stop
the AOL popups.

OK - doesn't AOL have their own popup blocker, too? Not sure how OE fits
into this.
I am not getting Messenger Service popups - whatever made you think
that?

It's a commonly enough asked question in here and most people don't specify
what kind of popups. Hence I mentioned it.
I disabled Windows Messenger Service many months ago, since I
do not have a network, and therefore have no need of it. I have
never heard of spam in Windows Messenger Service. Perhaps you meant
MSN Messenger.

No, Windows messenger service is what leads to messenger spam on unprotected
computers. MSN messenger is just an IM client.
And I do have a firewall protecting my computer. I
hope a firewall wouldn't stop genuine Messenger Service alerts.

Glad you have a firewall. If you disabled the underlying messenger service,
you won't get any messenger service alerts at all anyway. Since you say you
aren't on a network, you likely don't need it.
I mentioned Outlook Express simply to indicate where the AOL popup
occurs - underneath Outlook Express. I never said anything about
spam in my mail. The Daily Draw is just another daily lottery, and I
mentioned it only because the AOL popup popped up under it too.

I e-mailed Google, obviously, because Google have a popup blocker
which appears not to block AOL's popups. I had previously mailed
them about two other popups, and sent them the source code etc., and
they have now been successfully blocked. And they have since given
me the answer to the AOL problem, as in the first paragraph above.

Glad you've got your problem resolved.

david_kelsey

Outlook Express wasn't causing any problems - it just happened that the AOL
popup occurred while I was in OE, without Internet Explorer, and hence the
Google popup blocker, open. I've been using OE for about seven years or
more, and haven't had any difficulties specific to it. I've never had a
trojan or a virus that was not nabbed by Norton Antivirus or MacAfee. Such
malware as has appeared is always trapped by Ad-Aware. I never have opened
strange attachments, even when I know the most recent sender, whether in
Hotmail or OE, unless I know in advance what the contents are, and trust the
sender. Are you saying that you have had popups because of OE? That must be
a first.

I just think it is reprehensible for a huge national corporation like
AOL/Warner to send out popups like the porn sites and gambling sites and
music sites do. You would think they would find it beneath them, wouldn't
you?

David Kelsey

david_kelsey

I don't know or care whether AOL have their own popup blocker, which must be
the biggest piece of hypocrisy ever, as I do not, and never have had AOL on
my computer. The AOL popup is nothing to do with OE - it just happened to
be open when the AOL rubbish popped up beneath it, without IE running, and
therefore without the Google blocker running. I am amazed that no-one else
seems to be getting these AOL popups - perhaps they are targeting me because
they know I hate them!

David Kelsey

david_kelsey

Well, there's a thing. I followed Google's advice, and opened Internet
Explorer before opening Outlook Express, so the blocker in Google was
running. The AOL popup still appeared, on top of IE and under OE. What
now, I ask myself?

David Kelsey

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

david_kelsey said:
I don't know or care whether AOL have their own popup blocker, which
must be the biggest piece of hypocrisy ever, as I do not, and never
have had AOL on my computer. The AOL popup is nothing to do with OE
- it just happened to be open when the AOL rubbish popped up beneath
it, without IE running, and therefore without the Google blocker
running. I am amazed that no-one else seems to be getting these AOL
popups - perhaps they are targeting me because they know I hate them!

the information at hand. I'm not getting AOL popups or any popups. Sorry
you're being plagued! Did the spyware removal info help at all?
David Kelsey

david_kelsey wrote:
Am I the only person who is getting continual full page popups
from AOL pushing their broadband? I have mailed Google, who say
they are working on it, and also AOL, telling them I consider it
a gross invasion of privacy and shameful on the part of a
presumably reputable company like AOL. That last bit is tongue
in cheek, of course. The windows popup under Outlook Express, as
a rule, but sometimes under The Daily Draw. They are usually,
but not always, the bottom window.

I have blocked both addresses used in internet security, but this
does not appear to stop it. What will it take to stop them?

David Kelsey

david_kelsey

The AdAware run produced the usual 38 Data Miner, which I deleted, and
Spybot S&D found nothing at all. I run these at various times anyway, and
have never seen anything attributable to AOL.

I am now coming round to the view that this is happening exclusively to me
because I am doing the Daily Draw. They have random site links in the form
of banners, which have to be clicked on to go to the next stage of the draw
entry. Among these AOL crops up occasionally. I can't block popups on the
Daily Draw site, as it depends on them to work. So on the assumption that
I may well have clicked on an AOL link as any other at some time, maybe this
sets up a cookie that thereafter does the business independently. It
doesn't explain how the page gets past the security settings - restricted
site - or how it is triggered even when the Daily Draw is not open, but it
is beginning to look like the culprit. I am going to try to force the
popup, to prove it one way or the other.

Thanks for your help and interest. I'm sorry if I came across a bit
churlish - the whole thing is frustrating me, and I have to take it out on
someone!

David Kelsey
david_kelsey said:
I don't know or care whether AOL have their own popup blocker, which
must be the biggest piece of hypocrisy ever, as I do not, and never
have had AOL on my computer. The AOL popup is nothing to do with OE
- it just happened to be open when the AOL rubbish popped up beneath
it, without IE running, and therefore without the Google blocker
running. I am amazed that no-one else seems to be getting these AOL
popups - perhaps they are targeting me because they know I hate them!

given the information at hand. I'm not getting AOL popups or any

david_kelsey said:
[...]

That's what your neighborhood bartender is for - if you don't mind getting
86'd because of it. ;-)
No offense taken. I wish you much luck.
David Kelsey

david_kelsey wrote:
Am I the only person who is getting continual full page popups
from AOL pushing their broadband? I have mailed Google, who say
they are working on it, and also AOL, telling them I consider it
a gross invasion of privacy and shameful on the part of a
presumably reputable company like AOL. That last bit is tongue
in cheek, of course. The windows popup under Outlook Express,
as a rule, but sometimes under The Daily Draw. They are
usually, but not always, the bottom window.

I have blocked both addresses used in internet security, but
this does not appear to stop it. What will it take to stop
them?

David Kelsey

Adm C

I got the AOL pop up at the NY Times web site - quite annoying - couldn't
get it to close with the RED X until I noticed there was a CLOSE WINDOW at
the bottom right of the window.

I have ZA firewall, Google Pop Up blocker, McAfee AV (of course only the pop
up blocker is really supposed to block pop ups but none are 100%).

I suggest it is related to the "daily" whatever you are receiving if it is
popping up with OE.

Also make sure under OE OPTIONS that there is no "messenger" to start up
when OE starts - AOL IM has an option to "make it the default messenger
program" on install and run.

Also, make sure you complain to the responsible web site and AOL (if you can
figure out the web site).

Adm C