Pop up problems!

I was hoping that someone might be able to help me. My family computer is
having a pop up frenzy. My dad uses aol for all internet browsing and has had
no problem with pop ups (aol has a pop up blocker which he uses). Whenever I
come home from college, I tend to use internet explorer and this seems to set
off pop ups from every website. There is a pop-up blocker set (it may be aols
blocker) but it doesn't seem to do anything! And now when my dad uses aol, he
is getting numerous pop ups. I have run ad-adware and spybot. We have
restored the system to before I got home. Nothing is working. It makes no
sense to me because I get fewer popups with my laptop and I don't even have a
pop up blocker!

If anyone could make any suggestions, I would be quite greatful!

Thanks,
Judy

Don Varnau

Hi,
You almost certaily have malware installed which is causing this problem.
None of the malware (spyware ) removal programs can remove everything. New
malware is appearing almost daily.

Ad-aware and Spybot had the latest updates, right? Add CWShredder to the
toolkit http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.exe (and many other sites)

If unsuccessful with those programs, you may have to post a HijackThis log
for analysis. Start at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 Then go to
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Work through the preliminary cleaning
steps then post a HijackThis log to the forum at

Be patient. It's a busy forum at times.

Additional information, including important security tips, at:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Judy S." wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Judy,

Don sheds some accrurate informate on this issue and there's even more
trouble ahead if you don't put a vice around this problem right away. If no
one in your family is very computer savvy and you must resort to running
Hijack and CWShredder, you are in for some serious brain busting registry
repairs. This is not for the meek or timid in computer restoration or repair.
This is hard core brain surgey in the computer world.

Your dad's AOL pop-blocker may prevent pop-ups on his end but at the same
time AOL is the main root cause of all probelms on most computers allowing
spyware and malicious attacking daily. AOL is aware of this problem and has
noted it a recent conference in San Francisco. The main cause: the AOL
Instant Messenger. This is the portal and gateway for all hackers and
infectious viruses that will cause havoc on any PC. Not even Norton or McAfee
can prevent damage from the stuff that comes in through this messenger
service. There is usually on one software that will prevent it all, you must
use a collaboration of free and subscription tools that will prevent almost
99.5% of any attackers getting in.

At this point your only option is to save any important data, pictures,
music, documents off to CD's or DVD's, do not save software applications,
those can be re-installed later. You must wipe the hard drive clean by
reformatting it and re-installing Windows XP Home, do not install Windows
Professional as it only eats up additional CPU useage and memory and it comes
with more network and administrative controls than are needed.

Good Luck.