Police v The Stray Dog

Reaction score

Officers who deliberately ran down and killed a dog while it was running loose on the A55 in Conwy have been referred to the police complaints authority. North Wales Police said the foxhound could not be brought under control and the "only safe option" was to destroy it in the early hours of Monday by running it over!

More @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-35650395

Who ever decided this couse of action might get to explain it in court!!

Last edited:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I saw this earlier. Appalling. Yes, I "get it" that there are serious road safety issues and all of that - but really..?

Remember when a swan decided to wander around on the M4? Would it have been so unthinkable to halt the traffic in this instance too? Sheesh! This kind of thing makes me feel so mad. :mad:

Reaction score
I am not on the fence, the action of those officers was disgusting and callous as were the incident of the officers with the swan. Hopefully there will be a proper investigation and all the facts are known, if the officers made that decision or were they ordered to do that by a senior officer ? Were animal control involved by the decision? Were the RSPCA called ? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reaction score
I remember a incident in the 1980's on the what was then the new section of the M20 London bound at about 8 am there was a serious RTA (RTC they call it now), where two of the three lanes were blocked vehicles and debris and we needed the third lane closed so we could get the ET (Emergency Tender) and Ambulances close to the incident and use the heavy cutting equipment and ambulances crews access as there were several people with life threatening injuries and loads of serious injured. The Traffic Police refused us the right to close the lane and kept on saying "we have to keep the traffic moving" the traffic was backed for 5 miles. As this discussion was going on between our Station Officer and the Inspector our Divisional Officer arrived and he explained to the police inspector that unless he complied with our request he would order our ET drive to pull over into the 3rd lane and he would gladly see him in court to explain to the court how traffic flow was more important than human lives, the Inspector complied and closed the 3rd lane and we and Ambulance crews were able to carry out our duties. So my trust in the Police to always make the right decision is a little how can I say a iffy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I travel up and down on the road a lot. I have seen horrific crashes due to animals a lot. It is the main route to all of north wales. Yeah extreme and callus but better the animal than a 20 car pile up and 30 odd human lives
As I said i'm on the fence. Personally I wouldn't have done it but they made a decision that they thought was best at the time. Nothing can be done now

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'll take the opposite stance and state the police officers were correct to take the course of action they did.

Human lives, imo, are more important than animal lives, (mostly) and a stray dog running amok on a motorway could easily have caused loss of life. One must also question why a domestic pet was being allowed to run loose without a lead, chances are the dog had an irresponsible owner or was a stray.

People, imo, get too emotional about animals, sure, they're cute, some are good companions, but we are top of the food chain so lets look after ourselves.

Nobody bats an eyelid about thousands of animals slaughtered daily for their dinner plate by having their throat cut whilst still fully conscious so the death of one dog pales in comparison.

My deceased father in law was raised on a farm and they used dogs to help work the farm. When the dog came beyond use it was put down, with a shotgun. FIL said to me 'Sure, we got attached to the dogs, became fond of them, but at the end of the day they were just tools'.

I deplore the unnecessary death of any living creature and would also consider myself an animal lover. I detest hunting (unless it's strictly for food) and tbh I find the antics of those 'big game hunters' in Africa more obscene than the putting down of one dog.

There, said my bit, now where's my crash helmet...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
First time in and reading this thread, usually I don't bother with stuff like this. I knew what it would be about having read about it elsewhere.

Anyway, IMO the wise sage that is Mr FBS hit the nail on the head and pretty much said exactly what I was thinking.

Reaction score
I agree with FBS, I know when i worked on a large estate back inthe 80's the runt of the litter if poorly & sick would get put out of it's misery quick and without the vet coming out, Its all to do with not whats correct but how it is carried out these days and what the public see as acceptable, perhaps a marksman shooting the dog would have been better.

NWP must have snipers with nightsights as most forces do these days.

And of course once the media get hold of it the story grows, just surprised it was not in the Daily Mail!!:eek:

Ask a Question