PNY technologies USB Reader/Writer vs. WinXP

G

I tried plugging my friend's PNY technologies USB Reader/Writer (single slot) into my laptop, which runs WinXP, professional edition. However, when I tried running the Windows wizard, it wasn't able to find the driver. So, I went to the PNY site (http://www.pny.com/support/drivers/?prod=sSlot -bottom row, center) to download the driver for it, but the note on the page says that no driver is required to run this device on WinXP. So, I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have any ideas? I already checked the USB cable and port by connecting my floppy drive to it. No problem there, so I'm pretty sure that we just need a driver.

D

Don MI

alenaa said:
I tried plugging my friend's PNY technologies USB Reader/Writer (single
slot) into my laptop, which runs WinXP, professional edition. However, when
I tried running the Windows wizard, it wasn't able to find the driver. So,
I went to the PNY site
http://www.pny.com/support/drivers/?prod=sSlot -bottom row, center) to
download the driver for it, but the note on the page says that no driver is
required to run this device on WinXP. So, I'm not sure what to do. Does
anyone have any ideas? I already checked the USB cable and port by
connecting my floppy drive to it. No problem there, so I'm pretty sure that
we just need a driver.
-----------------
The PNY statement means that the Windows should use Microsoft driver files
disk.sys and PartMgr.sys for the card reader. These files are installed as
part of Windows XP. The Windows hardware wizard message means that a *.inf
file was not found for the card reader {as one is not needed}. When you
connect the card reader, it should just show up in My Computer without any
actions on your part.

If the card reader does not show up in My Computer, not sure what the
problem is.

Don

G

I have the exact same problem with my PQI brand Secure Digital (SD) USB card reader. When I plug my Compact Flash reader in the same port, it works fine. I have tried different ports (both USB 1.1 and 2.0) with the same results. The PQI web site and the Microsoft Knowledge Base are no help either, and the Windows 2000 driver won't work, of course. I am hoping that XP Professional Service Pack 2 will fix it (I can always dream, can't I ?) . My PQI reader is a pretty translucent red, so at least it functions as a Christmas tree ornament dangling from my PC's USB port.

Ask a Question