Please Help Me with WinFixer

Reaction score
I've looked around on the net for help and understand this is a big problem and there are sites out there offering solutions but I am quite scared and confused and would really appreciate someone helping me with my WinFixer problem.
I am hesitant to try any fixes i've seen in other threads in case they are not appropriate for my Win Fixer issue. So here goes........

I use Norton Antivirus on my XP PC.
Having recently run an automatic scan it informs me I have a Win Fixer security threat.
It recommended I delete them. One file was successfully deleted and one was unsuccessful. (I think the successful one was in a temp internet file, the unsuccessful one was in downloaded program files)
However, when I run scan again, it still says WinFixer threat is there and it cannot delete it when it tries, it just says delete failed.
Now when I reboot PC, a small message comes up entitled WinFixer, then says service currently unavailable.

My virus scan tells me the location of the infected file, so I thought I would go into Explorer and delete it manually, but I cannot find it in there, so I don't know what to do.
I've read about editing registries and stuff but i'm simply not confident enough to edit critical files!
Is my PC still at risk, and can anyone help me and tell me how to get rid of this pop up and the infected file (if it is still there). I am especially worried because I hear that personal information is collected via this WinFixer programme and I would like to feel confident using online banking/shopping etc.

Anything you can advise me on? Sorry if you've heard it all before.

Paul

Reaction score
Thank you to both of you.

I went into Safe Mode, ran Norton AntiVirus, it detected the infection again. I thought I may aswell try and delete it - and it did!
Rebooted and no WinFixer error message - bliss!
Didn't need to get as far as CCleaner, although wonder if it might be worth running it anyway?

I appreciate your help!!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
CCleaner is a great tool, you'll be amazed at how much crap it finds

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Please, download CCleaner and run it. ;)

:thumb:

Reaction score
Can anyone exlain "Collected data files?" My unit stays on, but not online and I am wondering do I have to be online
for the files tocollect or does my unit do that when it is just on? Thanks for any input.

Ask a Question