Play slide show with music automatically. (PowerPoint 2002)

Andy I.

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a slide show where the slide changes are synchronized
with the music (more or less), without any action required by the E-Mail
recipient.

When I insert the slides and set their duration and "automatically", the
show begins as soon as the attachment is opened. The slides advance.
(Good!)
When I insert the music (.wav) to start automatically, it plays as soon as
the attachment is opened. (Good!)
However the slides no longer advance. (Not so good!)

I'd appreciate any suggestions re how to remedy this.

Than you.
Andy I. PowerPoint 2002

t-4-2

Assuming you have all the slides setup.....
Go to slide #1, (on the left under Slides ), click it.
Animations tab > over to the right, No Sound, click the pointer > (Option #
1 ), or skip this >
Other Sound >locate the WAV sound file you want, click it and click Open >
( Option # 2 )
That's it.
Option # 1 : ( manual slides change ) click Loop Until Next Sound. Music
will play continuously till end of slideshow.
Option # 2 : ( automatic slides change ) put a checkmark on Automatically
After > click the top pointer. 1 click = 1 second > Slide Show tab > Set Up
Slide Show >Advance Slides heading, select Using Timings, if present > OK
Note : if you plan to e-mail the presentation, you MUST use WAV sound files.
Otherwise, mp3 will do.
t-4-2

Andy I.

Thanks for the quick response "t-4-2".
I'll try your suggestions.

Andy I.

#
: 1 ), or skip this >
: Other Sound >locate the WAV sound file you want, click it and click Open >
: ( Option # 2 )
: That's it.
: Option # 1 : ( manual slides change ) click Loop Until Next Sound. Music
: will play continuously till end of slideshow.
: Option # 2 : ( automatic slides change ) put a checkmark on Automatically
: After > click the top pointer. 1 click = 1 second > Slide Show tab > Set
Up
: Slide Show >Advance Slides heading, select Using Timings, if present > OK
: Note : if you plan to e-mail the presentation, you MUST use WAV sound
files.
: Otherwise, mp3 will do.
: t-4-2
:
: : > Hi,
: >
[...]

ciciamy

Hi Andy

You need this article:

Play sounds across multiple slides (a WAV runs through it)http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00047.htm

Lucy

--
Lucy Thomson
PowerPoint MVP

To play music or sounds across multiple slides in a presentation,
follow these steps:
Click the slide where you want the music or sounds to start.
On the Insert menu, point to Movies and Sounds, and then click Sound
from File.
Click the sound file that you want to use, and then click OK.
In the dialog box that appears, click Yes to play the sound
automatically.
Right-click the sound that now appears on your slide, and then click
Custom Animation.
In the Custom Animation task pane, right-click the media file on the
list, click Effect Options, and then click the Effect tab.
Under Stop playing, specify the options that you want, and then click
OK.
Close the Custom Animation task pane.
Right-click the sound, and then click Edit Sound Object.
Click to select the Loop until stopped check box, and then click OK.
Run your presentation.

Echo S

Again, appropriate attribution would be nice.

Don't Miss the PPTLive User Conference! Atlanta | Oct 11-14

[...]

Thanks again Lucy. ("Again" because you've been a great help to me in the
past.)
I now have the sound and the slides starting automatically. The slides
advance and the music continues but when the last slide has been displayed
for its allotted time, the music stops abruptly. I need the music to
continue until the whole song is completed, after the slide show is over if
necessary. I don't want any looping.

I have "Effect Options | Effects" set to "Stop Playing after 999 slides".
It stopped after 9 slides.

Puzzled.
Andy I.

: Hi Andy
:
: You need this article:
:
: Play sounds across multiple slides (a WAV runs through it)
: http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00047.htm
:
:
: Lucy
:
: --
[...]

Glad to be of service :)

Yep, the music will stop after the slide show finishes. Perhaps you could
put a completely blank slide at the end? Either white or black depending on
the lighting in the venue. Personally I would go with black.

If that doesn't help, perhaps you could explain the circumstances of the
presentation and why you want the music to continue. I'm sure someone can
come up with a smart idea...

Lucy

t-4-2

1.) Find out the duration of your sound file.
e.g. 3 min. 20 sec. = 200 seconds.
2.) Number of slides you have in the presentation
e.g. 24 slides
3.) 200 sec Divided by 24 = 8.333333 sec.
4.) Animations tab, set your Automatically After at 8.34 or 8.35 sec.
5.) click Apply To All.
Note : the extra .01 or .02 sec is to ensure music is finished before the
end of the slide show.
You might have to play with the math a little so that music won't finish too
early.
t-4-2

Andy I.

Thank you John. I guess I misunderstood the "Stop playing after 999 slides"
bit. I thought it meant that the song would *not* stop if there were fewer
than 999 slides and of course I have only 9.

Thanks too for your suggestions, but they don't quite match what I'm after.

What I've done now is lengthened the duration of the last slide so that the
song plays to the end naturally, then stops and the slide show ends.

Andy I.

"John Wilson" <john AT technologytrish.co DOT uk> wrote in message
: As Lucy says you cannot have the music play if the slide show ends.
:
: Maybe though what you want is the music to fade out rather than stop with
: bang maybe with the last slide fading to black at the same time?
:
: If this is what you need get back.
: --
: john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk
:
: Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials
: http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials.html
: PPTLive Atlanta Oct 11-14 2009
:
:
:
:
: "Andy I." wrote:
:
[...]
: > :
: > : You need this article:
: > :
: > : Play sounds across multiple slides (a WAV runs through it)
: > : http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00047.htm
: > :
: > :
: > : Lucy
: > :
: > : --
: > : Lucy Thomson
: > : PowerPoint MVP
: > : MOS Master Instructor
: > : www.aneasiertomorrow.com.au
: > :
: > :
: > :
: > : : > : > Hi,
: > : >
[...]

As you can see, Lucy, in my reply to John, I have the thing working as
planned.

By the way, since you asked.............. The presentation consists of a
song with several verses. I have a slide to illustrate the content of each
verse. The duration of each slide has to match the duration of each verse.
Sounds simple enough! It wasn't. One eye on the monitor, the other on the
second hand of my watch. (The verses were not all equal in length.)

The last bit of the sound is all instrumental so what the last slide
continues to display is not a distraction.

Thanks again for your interest.
Andy I.

: Hi Andy
:
: Glad to be of service :)
:
: Yep, the music will stop after the slide show finishes. Perhaps you could
: put a completely blank slide at the end? Either white or black depending
on
: the lighting in the venue. Personally I would go with black.
:
: If that doesn't help, perhaps you could explain the circumstances of the
: presentation and why you want the music to continue. I'm sure someone can
: come up with a smart idea...
:
: Lucy
:
: --
: Lucy Thomson
: PowerPoint MVP
: MOS Master Instructor
: www.aneasiertomorrow.com.au

Andy I.

Hi "t-4-2",

Many thanks for your suggestion. That would have worked, but as I explained
to Lucy, the requirements were a bit more complicated.
The slides had to match the verses of the song and these verses were not
equal in length.

Andy I.

: 1.) Find out the duration of your sound file.
: e.g. 3 min. 20 sec. = 200 seconds.
: 2.) Number of slides you have in the presentation
: e.g. 24 slides
: 3.) 200 sec Divided by 24 = 8.333333 sec.
: 4.) Animations tab, set your Automatically After at 8.34 or 8.35 sec.
: 5.) click Apply To All.
: Note : the extra .01 or .02 sec is to ensure music is finished before the
: end of the slide show.
: You might have to play with the math a little so that music won't finish
too
: early.
: t-4-2

t-4-2

I saw what you replied to Lucy.
Had you said that right from the beginning. You omitted the most important
factor. You sent us in a wild goose chase.
t-4-2

Andy I.

Hi "t-4-2",

I'm sorry that you've found this so annoying.
I did say in the very beginning: "I'm trying to set up a slide show where
[...]

No, please do not misunderstand. I am not annoyed. I was just merely trying
to point out that you have to give all the details of what you are doing and
hoping to achieve.
If in the beginning you started by saying this : " The presentation
consists of a song with several verses. I have a slide to illustrate the
content of each verse. The duration of each slide has to match the duration
of each verse. "
That is not the same as : "I'm trying to set up a slide show where the
*slide changes* are synchronized with the music"
Anyway, you have your problem resolved. That's the only thing that matters.
t-4-2

Andy I.

Agreed.

Andy I.

[...]

Oh I see. Just for future reference, I would probably use rehearse timings
for this rather than trying to find out the time of each verse and then set
the slide times manually. You can always tweak rehearsed times manually if
necessary. Just so you know :).

One more thought - perhaps you could repeat the slides from the verses (with
equal timing to match the instrumental part) so people are reminded of and
can reflect on the words they heard earlier. Just an idea :)

Lucy

Andy I.

Hi Lucy,

"Rehearse Timings"! Now you tell me! :) I should have asked how to do
this synchronized slide show before I started my own half-baked
or perhaps I should explore these drop-down menus a bit more.

Anyhow, many thanks.
Andy I.

[...]

Tell me about it. It took me years to discover the alignment buttons - and I
wept when I did for all that lost time... ;-)

Lucy