Platform

Andrew Robinson

I haven't worked on the CF for about 3 years but now have a client that just
bought a number of WinCE based scanners and now wants me to build some apps
for them. My main question is would they have been better off with Win
Mobile on the same device which was an option.

I remember CE being more difficult to work with. No ActiveSync pass through
(assuming they aren't using 802.11 for connectivity.) But honestly, I don't
know anything about the current state of ActiveSync.

Could someone reply with some general info on the subject. I know that CE
has its place but would Mobile be easier to deal with for this project? (And
I do realize the Mobile is running on top of CE.) What as some of the big
issues when dealing with CE? Etc.

Thanks!

-Andy

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

No, not better off. Windows Mobile has some stuff that is different and
more-advanced than Windows CE. Windows CE has more things that could be in
it, depending on what the device OEM wanted to put in there. It just
depends.

You're incorrect about no ActiveSync pass-thru. That's a Windows CE
function, not specific to Windows Mobile.

The only way to divine which would be better for some given project would be
to know what you have to do for the project...

Paul T.

Andrew Robinson

Paul,

Thanks for the feedback.

-Andy

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT

Given a choice, I would almost always go the WinCE route insatead of WM
unless the customer needed some WM-specific stuff (like Pocket Outlook,
etc). It's easier to control the environment in a non-WM device.