PIO Only mode set when "Ultra DMA if Available" is selected

G

I have recently installed a new drive (Maxtor 6Y200P0) on my Win XP system. I have configured it to be a slave of my existing hard disk on the Primary IDE channel and set the transfer mode to "Ultra DMA if available". However, this reverts to the "PIO Only" mode whenever the next attempt to write to the disk is made. The resultant poor performance is driving me crazy!
I have done my research on the web - Microsoft KB acknowledges this as a prblem that will be fixed in a future SP (SP2?). I tried a couple of registry changes suggested by others who had a similar experience, but I am still stuck wih the "PIO Only" mode. BTW, if as a result of making registry changes, I do manage to get the mode set to "Ultra DMA 6" temporarily, the next write causes a bunch of Event 9 errors ending with an Event 11 error (resulting in the mode being set to "PIO Only").
Please HELP!!

M

mrtee

Have you read this article http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/tech/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx? It contains some good relevant information.

--
Just my 2¢ worth
Jeff
__________in response to__________
| I have recently installed a new drive (Maxtor 6Y200P0) on my Win XP system. I have configured it to be a slave of my existing hard disk on the Primary IDE channel and set the transfer mode to "Ultra DMA if available". However, this reverts to the "PIO Only" mode whenever the next attempt to write to the disk is made. The resultant poor performance is driving me crazy!
| I have done my research on the web - Microsoft KB acknowledges this as a prblem that will be fixed in a future SP (SP2?). I tried a couple of registry changes suggested by others who had a similar experience, but I am still stuck wih the "PIO Only" mode. BTW, if as a result of making registry changes, I do manage to get the mode set to "Ultra DMA 6" temporarily, the next write causes a bunch of Event 9 errors ending with an Event 11 error (resulting in the mode being set to "PIO Only").
| Please HELP!!

G

Yes, I have. It did not help me. I did however try some suggestions involving change to the registry to set the UDMA Mode. It did suceed but only briefly as the setting changed back to PIO

----- mrtee wrote: ----

Have you read this article http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/tech/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx? It contains some good relevant information

--
Just my 2¢ wort
Jef
__________in response to_________
| I have recently installed a new drive (Maxtor 6Y200P0) on my Win XP system. I have configured it to be a slave of my existing hard disk on the Primary IDE channel and set the transfer mode to "Ultra DMA if available". However, this reverts to the "PIO Only" mode whenever the next attempt to write to the disk is made. The resultant poor performance is driving me crazy
| I have done my research on the web - Microsoft KB acknowledges this as a prblem that will be fixed in a future SP (SP2?). I tried a couple of registry changes suggested by others who had a similar experience, but I am still stuck wih the "PIO Only" mode. BTW, if as a result of making registry changes, I do manage to get the mode set to "Ultra DMA 6" temporarily, the next write causes a bunch of Event 9 errors ending with an Event 11 error (resulting in the mode being set to "PIO Only")
| Please HELP!

Ask a Question