Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Pink Floyd's Legendary Dark Side of the Moon has been remastered from the original recording's into a wonderful higher-resolution audio format in the form of a hybrid CD/SACD -- Luckily, even if you don't have an SACD player, the disc WILL play in an ordinary CD player AND if you have a DVD player with digital-optical output running to your surround receiver, you CAN play the CD in surround form, just in regular CD 44.1 resolution. :spin:

The Super Audio CD (SACD) features two disc layers. One layer contains a standard version of the album that works on any CD player. The other layer includes high-resolution stereo and a 5.1 surround version of the recording that works on SACD-compatible DVD players and home theater systems. Both layers employ SACD's Direct Stream Digital (DSD) encoding process that samples the music 64 times faster than CD for unprecedented fidelity.

Dark Side of the Moon

Reaction score
I have the original CD release of it at home. Is the actual CD stereo release remastered as well or only the SACD version?

When you say you can put it into your DVD player and get surround output...is it just playing on all channels or is it really the full 5.1 experience? I thought there was only the CD and SACD versions. DVD-Audio would have been a better choice. ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eric Portelance
I have the original CD release of it at home. Is the actual CD stereo release remastered as well or only the SACD version?

When you say you can put it into your DVD player and get surround output...is it just playing on all channels or is it really the full 5.1 experience? I thought there was only the CD and SACD versions. DVD-Audio would have been a better choice. ;)

I too have the original CD and toying with the idea of getting this one, although I do not have the SACD player at the moment.

According to the information I gathered it simply says "suffound sound" so 5.1 it is not!:(

DVD-A is not really picking up but SACD seems to be the future. Many high end companies have given up on DVD-A and have strarted to get into SACD.:crazy:

Reaction score
Really a dumb idea going with SACD, if you ask me. I don't see what the advantages are. Plus, we're all forced to buy new players and upgrade our equipment (which is an advantage for the manufacturers). :angry:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eric Portelance
Really a dumb idea going with SACD, if you ask me. I don't see what the advantages are. Plus, we're all forced to buy new players and upgrade our equipment (which is an advantage for the manufacturers). :angry:

We always WERE scapegoats, its them (manufacturers) who get the benefit never us! :angry:

The advancement in computer technology is actually responsible for it. It has its advantages and disadvantages. One things is for sure, we pay for the research work when we buy anything, whether it is a digital camera, SACD player etc etc. They also decide what we should be buying few years from now.:(

Ask a Question