ping Susan: superformat [PL]

Spacey Spade

Superformat formatted diskettes are not necessarily readable in XP
systems. All my XP system saw was a blank disk, though I had a 1.64MB
file on it. The floppy was created on a win98se system. Have found
similar results in these threads:

http://google.com/[email protected]

http://google.com/[email protected]

Pricelessware page says "Users report that SuperFormat does not format
disks properly in Win 2000/ XP. (Previously formatted disks can be used
in these OS.)"

Thanks so much in keeping up the pages. I hope you have the will to say
"sorry, I don't update 2004 pages" when 2005 pages are in effect.

Spacey

Susan Bugher

Spacey said:
Superformat formatted diskettes are not necessarily readable in XP
systems. All my XP system saw was a blank disk, though I had a 1.64MB
file on it. The floppy was created on a win98se system. Have found
similar results in these threads:

http://google.com/[email protected]

http://google.com/[email protected]

Pricelessware page says "Users report that SuperFormat does not format
disks properly in Win 2000/ XP. (Previously formatted disks can be used
in these OS.)"

The PL note got revised a couple of times - the last thread about that
is here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...mat%20%26%20XP&as_scoring=d&lr=&num=100&hl=en

From: DC ([email protected])
Subject: PING: Susan re: SuperFormat & XP
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: 2003-08-23 16:44:35 PST

Post a proposed revision if you still think one is needed after reading
the thread.
Thanks so much in keeping up the pages. I hope you have the will to say
"sorry, I don't update 2004 pages" when 2005 pages are in effect.

YW ;)

Susan

INspire

From: DC ([email protected])
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: 2003-08-23 16:44:35 PST

Post a proposed revision if you still think one is needed after reading
the thread.

YW ;)

Susan

Any file written to the drive in win98 is not accessible in winXP. I
don't know why. XP windows explorer shows correct diskette size, used
and free space, but does not show the files written by win98. In XP,
small files may successfully be written to the superformatted diskette,
but it is a matter of luck... XP cannot access all the sectors on the
diskette even though it thinks it can.

I think you can simplify and just say that diskettes formatted with
SuperFormat don't work on XP. Read or write. For that reason I think
you can put back the description you had originally:

<quote>
SuperFormat lets you create additional disk space on a standard 3.5 inch
floppy disk. The program formats the floppy to hold 1.72 MB of data
instead of the standard 1.44 MB. It comes with an adequate help file and
is easy to use. NOTE: Superformat runs in a DOS box. Users report that
Superfornat disks cannot be created OR opened in Windows XP
</quote>

So much fuss over .22 MB... sheesh. "I plea insanity" Spacey

JanC

INspire said:
Any file written to the drive in win98 is not accessible in winXP. I
don't know why. XP windows explorer shows correct diskette size, used
and free space, but does not show the files written by win98. In XP,
small files may successfully be written to the superformatted diskette,
but it is a matter of luck... XP cannot access all the sectors on the
diskette even though it thinks it can.

I think you can simplify and just say that diskettes formatted with
SuperFormat don't work on XP. Read or write.

Don't work with a standard XP setup...

It should be possible for someone with enough experience and who can access
a copy of the Windows file system driver development kit (it's not
available for free AFAIK) to create a FS driver for these diskettes.

Susan Bugher

INspire said:
systems. All my XP system saw was a blank disk, though I had a 1.64MB
file on it. The floppy was created on a win98se system. Have found
similar results in these threads:format disks properly in Win 2000/ XP. (Previously formatted disks can
be used in these OS.)"reading the thread.
[...]

okay "paroled for ACF drudgery duty - report to Susan Bugher" ;)

It worked for DC, didn't it? so. . . could be the app - could be
something else. Does anybody want to test it out on 100 different machines.

IMO the present note is adequate - it gives a heads up - doesn't make
what might be an unwarranted claim/criticism.

Susan

Top