Photo/video compressing.

tdc

Reaction score
Hello

icon7.gif
thanks to all for the info over the past weeks but I still have more questions
icon4.gif

I do a lot of photo/video editing and burning.
I have been wondering about compressing photo and video files.
I have had a look at the usual suspects eg. Winzip ect. Is there anything else I
should consider?
I guess some one out there will have the answer.

tdc

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
videos generally only reduce their size by 1-2% when compressed to a rar or zip file. Its not really worth doing if you are trying to save space, if you want to split the file into two or more pieces then its the easiest option

photos are pretty much the same, they're already highly compressed so trying to compress them again doesn't really give any advantage. It is useful for sending multiple photos in one file via email though

What are you trying to achieve by compressing them?

tdc

Reaction score
Hi

I backup photos and videos onto an external hard drive which is getting full. I was thinking of compressing the files to make more space. (probably wiser to buy another hard drive).
tdc

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
If you have a lot of files compressing them all will take quite a while and you won't free up a great deal of space, easiest and simplest option is to buy a 1 or 2TB drive and use that.

I'll also add that hard drives are not the best medium for backing up to, if its important data a mirrored array might be worth considering

Ask a Question