Phantom message header and reminders

S

Scot T Brennecke

My hard drive recently had some corruption (bad sectors), which I fixed using CheckDisk. I then
used the Inbox Repair Tool (ScanPST) to repair the file which was unfortunately in the corrupted
part of the disk.
[I have Outlook 2003 SP1 (11.6359.64080, running on Windows XP Pro SP2]
For the most part, I am able to use the PST file, and I haven't found too many things to have been
lost. However, I have some annoying "ghost" objects:
In my "Unread Mail" search folder, I see the header of an unread message that was apparently
lost due to the corruption. I can't open, delete, or even "mark as read" this item ("The message
you specified cannot be found."). It doesn't appear in the folder indicated by the header. How can
I get rid of this thing?
Also, there are some reminders for recurring events that were in my calendar, but which got
lost. The reminders still pop up when I start Outlook, even though the calendar entries are gone.
I can't "Open Item" from the reminder, and "Snooze" doesn't work, because the object no longer
exists. How can I get rid of these reminders?

D

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

try cleanreminders switch for the reminders problem -
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/switches.htm

Did you try deleting the unread search folder and recreating it? Delete it
from the Search folder then right click on the Search folder and choose
Create Search Folder and choose the predefined unread search.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)

Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/

S

Scot T Brennecke

Deleting and recreating the search folder worked like a charm! (Of course, you knew it would).

I ran Outlook.exe with the /cleanreminders switch, and now, after a short pause, I get a balloon
tip from the tray icon that says "Cannot start the reminder service. Unable to show reminders."
This occurs every time now, even though I'm no longer starting with that switch.

Diane Poremsky said:
try cleanreminders switch for the reminders problem -
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/switches.htm

Did you try deleting the unread search folder and recreating it? Delete it from the Search folder
then right click on the Search folder and choose Create Search Folder and choose the predefined
unread search.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)

Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/

Scot T Brennecke said:
My hard drive recently had some corruption (bad sectors), which I fixed using CheckDisk. I then
used the Inbox Repair Tool (ScanPST) to repair the file which was unfortunately in the corrupted
part of the disk.
[I have Outlook 2003 SP1 (11.6359.64080, running on Windows XP Pro SP2]
For the most part, I am able to use the PST file, and I haven't found too many things to have
been lost. However, I have some annoying "ghost" objects:
In my "Unread Mail" search folder, I see the header of an unread message that was apparently
lost due to the corruption. I can't open, delete, or even "mark as read" this item ("The message
you specified cannot be found."). It doesn't appear in the folder indicated by the header. How
can I get rid of this thing?
Also, there are some reminders for recurring events that were in my calendar, but which got
lost. The reminders still pop up when I start Outlook, even though the calendar entries are
gone. I can't "Open Item" from the reminder, and "Snooze" doesn't work, because the object no
longer exists. How can I get rid of these reminders?

S

Scot T Brennecke

FYI. I believe I have resolved this problem now by using the /resetfolders switch. Thanks for your
help.

D

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Deleting and recreating the search folder worked like a charm! (Of
course, you knew it would).

Actually, i wasn't sure if the problem was with the search folder or a
corrupted message... and i thought cleanreminders was a sure thing. <g>

Ask a Question