Permissions "lost" on file.. how?

paula

On Windows 2000 Server which is PDC and file server, there is a folder
which is required to only be available to three specific users.

The setup is as follows on the folder:

Sharing tab: Share this folder

Share permissions tab: FULL CONTROL:
Administrator
Backup Operators
Creator Owner
and the 3 users mentioned above

Security tab: Everyone Full control
Allow inheritable permissions from parent to propagate to this object
is checked.
Advanced tab: Permission: Full Control; Apply to: this folder,
subfolders and files

One of the three users in question tried to open a file she created
some time ago. The file is in a sub-folder of the folder described
above. She was denied access (told her to check permissions).

I logged on as admin at the file server and was also denied access to
the file, although I was offerred to take ownership, which I did.

Can anyone explain how this file could have become "separated" from
its parent folder's permissions since they are supposedly "inherited"?

THANK YOU!

ptwilliams

Somebody with full control unchecked the inherit box and changed the
permissions?

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net