Windows XP pci.sys XP install problem

Reaction score
The BIOS on my old motherboard died, so I invested in a cheap MSI mtherboard with onboard video and Pentium Dual Core E6300 with 4GB of Corsair PC6400 (800MHz) RAM. I tried to reinstall or "repair" the installation of XP on my old IDE (DMA-66) drive, but it wouldn't install (as I expected).

I then went out and got a new SATA hard drive and booted up with the XP CD install again. I get the same error as before; a STOP 0x0000007E (0xC000005.....) error that stops on pci.sys - Address 0x748E08F base at 0x748700000.

It seems most logical that this is a hardware problem with either the PCI bus or the RAM. Does anyone have any ideas about this? Should I return the motherboard?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi crashq :)

I think it's because you are trying to install XP (which is quite old) on to a new system. Were you given an option to provide SATA drivers at any point during the install? There are 3 options I can think of:

1) Format your IDE drive and install XP on that.
2) See if you can change the SATA mode to IDE compatibility mode, or something along those lines in the BIOS. This will improve the chances of Windows XP being able to see your drive properly.
3) Slipstream SP3 on to your XP CD. You'll need to do this on another PC, but it's easy to do : http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/xpsp3_slipstream.asp

Reaction score
It was #3. I found the slipstreaming info on another site shortly after posting here. I needed an XP disk with SP2 integrated to recognized the PCI-E slots and load the necessary drivers. I created a slipstreamed SP2 disk and then encountered a new problem on a file named "....1394.sys" , which I recognized as the same problem with the FireWire setup. A slipstreamed XP/SP3 disk took care of that and the system is now working flawlessly.

Thanks

Ask a Question