PC takes a loooong time to boot up

1

12-34

Put together a Dual Xeon for video capture and it's nice to work on bu
the boot up just takes fore ever. How long is forever? The last chec
in bios, the HD's, instead of the usual 5 to 6 or 7 dots it goes for
1/2 lines of dots. Then on to the XP Pro slpash screen where the blu
dots wiggle and waggle on for about 1 1/2 minutes.

The PC: Dual 1.6lv ghz Xeons running ar 2.9 ghz (overclocking), 4x 51
mb Mushkin ddr3500 ram, PC-DL Asus mobo, Antec lanboy case, 2x WD 80g
for sata and 2x WD 120gb for raid, Pioneer DVD r/w, DVD rom,

It was a PITA trying to load up Windows XP Pro w/SP2 onto this thing.
I had to use my wifes new PC to format the HD's and install XP on. Th
"boot" order was correct, just could not finish loading XP after th
first reboot.

Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated

Quaoar

12-34 said:
Put together a Dual Xeon for video capture and it's nice to work on
but
the boot up just takes fore ever. How long is forever? The last
check
in bios, the HD's, instead of the usual 5 to 6 or 7 dots it goes for 2
1/2 lines of dots. Then on to the XP Pro slpash screen where the blue
dots wiggle and waggle on for about 1 1/2 minutes.

The PC: Dual 1.6lv ghz Xeons running ar 2.9 ghz (overclocking), 4x 512
mb Mushkin ddr3500 ram, PC-DL Asus mobo, Antec lanboy case, 2x WD 80gb
for sata and 2x WD 120gb for raid, Pioneer DVD r/w, DVD rom,

It was a PITA trying to load up Windows XP Pro w/SP2 onto this thing.
I had to use my wifes new PC to format the HD's and install XP on.
The
"boot" order was correct, just could not finish loading XP after the
first reboot.

Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated.

"It was a PITA trying to load up Windows XP Pro w/SP2 onto this thing.
I had to use my wifes new PC to format the HD's and install XP on. "

Do you mean that you formatted and installed XP when the HD was
installed on another computer? If this is the case (and even if it
isn't) do a repair install of XP. If you can boot to a utility CD or
emergency boot disk of some kind, you might first do chkdsk c: /r on the
boot disk to fix, if possible, the corruption on that HD. Back it up if
you can and find a new HD.

1

12-34

--
12-34

"It was a PITA trying to load up Windows XP Pro w/SP2 onto this thing.
I had to use my wifes new PC to format the HD's and install XP on. "

Do you mean that you formatted and installed XP when the HD was
installed on another computer? If this is the case (and even if it
isn't) do a repair install of XP. If you can boot to a utility CD or
emergency boot disk of some kind, you might first do chkdsk c: /r on
the
boot disk to fix, if possible, the corruption on that HD. Back it up
if
you can and find a new HD.

Yes, that's the only way it would load up. The repair install has been
done - just after I got it up and running. Will have to figure out
which HD it's on - SATA and run chdsk.

thanks