pc stop after installation of KB835732

G

On hearing about the SASSER worm I used "Automatic Live Update" to download the latest security patches for Windows 2000 on my laptop PC. It installed patches 837001, 835732 and 828741. After the installation it re-started the computer

It took 1 hour to re-start, and then the task manager indicated that it was running at 100% CPU, and the main problem was the process SYSTEM which seemed to be grabbing all available CPU. I managed, by increasing the priority of the process EXPLORER.EXE to high, to identify the three patches that the update had installed. I then un-installed them one at a time (this process took nearly 2 days!)

The problem was solved by the removal of update B835732. It wasn't the worm that got me, it was the Microsoft patch. There is a bug in it relating to W2K service pack 4 running on a laptop computer - from other postings on this newsgroup.

G

Microsoft has a patch if windows is the proble
do a search for your problem and you should find the url on how to recover

Ask a Question