pc shuts down for no apparent reason

Reaction score
just upgraded to:
core2duo 6420
2gig corsair XMS2 memory
Asus P5N32-E SLI plus motherboard

Assembled in my old case with original hard drives and CDroms:
Maxtor 100Gb SATA
Maxtor 120Gb IDE(on a IDE to SATA convertor board)
Maxtor 80Gb IDE(on a IDE to SATA convertor board)
NEC DVD ReWriter
TSScorp DVD ReWriter
Floppy(sony)
Pallit 256Mb GeForce 7600GS Graphics
Compro T300 TV card

after upgrade and installation of XP the machine periodically shut down and restarted, this happened about 4 times in the space of 10 days. Looked in the event viewer in adminastrative tools, but nothing was showing up, as if it never happened.
Someone said it was possible that it was the power supply that was at fault, so, I was going to replace the case anyway, and so replaced the power supply as well, that was last friday, tonight about 30 mins ago it shut down and restarted again for no reason, checked event viewer again, and according to that it never happened?????
Also after each time it shut off and restarted you would expect it to do a checkdisk on startup, it never has???????? I have also looked at the overheating side of things but that is not it, in fact it is running quite cool.
has anyone any Ideas??????????? I am starting to go bald through tearing my hair out
Any help much appreciated

Reaction score
I'm sure the techy guys on here will come up with some ideas unfortunatly i'm not that bright :D must be well annoying and the chance of losing things you have been working on would drive me bats.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yes, It does look like a PSU power problem, especially as there is a lack of info from Event Viewer.

A better long-term solution is to turn off the automatic reboot so you can actually see the error (BSOD) when it happens ... chances are it will tell you enough about itself to let you troubleshoot further. To change the recovery settings to disable automatic rebooting:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties
2. Click the Advanced tab
3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box
4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times
5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect

Now when you go to shut down and a fatal error occurs, you'll at least see it and it won't cause an automatic reboot.

If, on the other hand, it still reboots, then I would swap-out the PSU.

What PSU are you using at the moment?

Also after each time it shut off and restarted you would expect it to do a checkdisk on startup, it never has????????
No, you ain't using Win95/98 ... XP will not normally run CHKDSK. ;)

user.gif

Reaction score
Originally I was using a cheap Ezcool 550watt, thought it might have been the problem, this new one is an Xclio 480watt. It has lasted from friday evening til early this morning without shutting down and restarting and has been on constantly for 36 hours?

Reaction score
did you do what muckshifter said ?

if so, have you had anymoer crashes and did you get any error reports

Reaction score
This problem sounds familiar. One of our pc is having the same problem except it reboots more then ten times a day. I replaced power supply (ordered original power supply from Dell, since it was dell computer). I did every test possible, but haven’t done memory (RAM) test. I haven’t got time to do that yet. So Penfold, if you decide to do memory test please let me know your result.

Reaction score
yes did what muckshifter said. Up to now(fingers crossed) no more restarts. As I asked earlier could Norton Auto updates cause this? the only thing that I could see in the event log was, at the same time as the PC shut off and restarted (and when I say shut off and restarted,I dont mean that it shut down the programs as normal and restarted, it just shut off as if the power was turned off then restarted) an event log that norton automatic update started????

Reaction score
Has been stable now for nearly 4 weeks, and last night Blue screened. Looked in the event log and all I could see was Norton updater at the time of the blue screen???

Ask a Question