PC only starts if I blow on it!

GTS

I previously posted that my reliable (until now) PC suddenly would not
boot - the fans would spin, LEDS light up, but it would not complete the
POST, it would not beep and then boot.
Then I discovered by flook that if I was to blow steadily onto the
motherboard, aiming between the CPU and PS2 sockets, it would boot as
normal. Once into the BIOS and Windows all temps etc are reported as normal
and extensive testing of everything using Sandra and Everest finds no
problems. It runs as it always has, including intensive tasks like Far Cry /
Doom3.
Now I have repeated this start-PC-by-blowing-on-it routine dozens of times -
but it is a bit ridiculous and would rather not have to do it forever!

Have tried swapping PSU, GPU, HDD, removed and replaced CPU, and have
removed motherboard and blasted it with compressed air (£6.99 for a can of
air is ridiculous!)
So has anyone come accross such a weird symptom before? Have I got to bite
the bullett and replace the mobo?
GTS

Ed Cregger

/
Doom3.
Now I have repeated this start-PC-by-blowing-on-it routine dozens of
times -
but it is a bit ridiculous and would rather not have to do it forever!

Have tried swapping PSU, GPU, HDD, removed and replaced CPU, and have
removed motherboard and blasted it with compressed air (£6.99 for a can of
air is ridiculous!)
So has anyone come accross such a weird symptom before? Have I got to bite
the bullett and replace the mobo?
GTS

I assume that you have checked for a crack in the MB? Otherwise, it sounds
like either a cold solder joint, or perhaps a card isn't seating properly.

I have seen situations where a computer that has been in service for quite a
while with all of the same components has developed some tarnish on the
contacts. Moving the cards and connectors wiped away enough of the
tarnish/corrosion to permit the PC to work again. Blowing on the circuit
board does cause a small amount of movement, as you have guessed.

Ed Cregger

George Pontis

GTS said:
[...]

Sometimes the mobo will not boot if the CPU fan does not start. The fan
may not start if you have enabled some quiet feature that lowers the
fan voltage when the CPU is not too hot. When you first turn on the
computer the fan voltage is at a minimum and some fans will not start.
Perhaps your blowing is giving the fan a nudge - enough to start
turning and allow the system to boot.

If this is the problem, you can often control the minimum setting or
disable the feature in the bios, or you can try a different fan.

H. Seldon

GTS bleated this on Sunday 2/12/2006

I previously posted that my reliable (until now) PC suddenly would not
boot - the fans would spin, LEDS light up, but it would not complete the
POST, it would not beep and then boot.
Then I discovered by flook that if I was to blow steadily onto the
motherboard, aiming between the CPU and PS2 sockets, it would boot as
normal.

Hmmmm, *blowing* in the crack between the CPU and the sockets??? Maybe
the motherboard is in love with you. l-)

Once into the BIOS and Windows all temps etc are reported as normal
and extensive testing of everything using Sandra and Everest finds no
problems. It runs as it always has, including intensive tasks like Far Cry /
Doom3.
Now I have repeated this start-PC-by-blowing-on-it routine dozens of times -
but it is a bit ridiculous and would rather not have to do it forever!

Have tried swapping PSU, GPU, HDD, removed and replaced CPU, and have
removed motherboard and blasted it with compressed air (£6.99 for a can of
air is ridiculous!)
So has anyone come accross such a weird symptom before? Have I got to bite
the bullett and replace the mobo?
GTS

That's all,

"Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get
you"

< Colin Sautar >

Bob M

GTS said:
[...]

Replace the PSU with a good name brand PSU with good specs like you
were told to do here last week. Stop posting the same problem over and
over again if you're not going to take the advice given to you in this
forum. Buy a decent power supply and be done with it.

Bob

GTS

Replace the PSU with a good name brand PSU with good specs like you
were told to do here last week. Stop posting the same problem over and
over again if you're not going to take the advice given to you in this
forum. Buy a decent power supply and be done with it.

Bob
If you read my reply in the ONE other thread I started, you will have seen
that I have tried two other power supplies with no change in the symptoms.
One of these was an Antec 480p.
There does seem to be a trend to reccomend a new power supply regardless of
the problem - Dr Quacks' miracle cure-all!
I have found similar PC faults to mine by googling etc - one guy started his
PC with a hair dryer, another by pointing a fan heater at it!
So I think Ed has it right - a cold solder joint or perhaps a dodgy track on
the mobo. I was hoping to avoid expense, but a new mobo will cost about half
the price of one of the trendier power supplies!

Ta to all for the replies.

GTS

JAD said:
pull the keyboard connector from the ps2 port and see if it boots
No but it did boot eventually after repeatedly removing and replacing the
keyboard. Interesting also is that the keyboard is not staying powered when
PC is off. (Usually when the PC is off the optical mouse and keyboard stay
powered and I can turn on the PC using the keyboard).

Bob M

GTS said:
If you read my reply in the ONE other thread I started, you will have seen
that I have tried two other power supplies with no change in the symptoms.
One of these was an Antec 480p.
There does seem to be a trend to reccomend a new power supply regardless of
the problem - Dr Quacks' miracle cure-all!
I have found similar PC faults to mine by googling etc - one guy started his
PC with a hair dryer, another by pointing a fan heater at it!
So I think Ed has it right - a cold solder joint or perhaps a dodgy track on
the mobo. I was hoping to avoid expense, but a new mobo will cost about half
the price of one of the trendier power supplies!

Ta to all for the replies.

The only thing I remember you saying about a PSU is that you tried 2
others. I don't remember you saying anything about what the specs were
of the PSU's or a brand, model, etc. Good luck getting your system fixed.

Bob

Bob M

GTS said:
If you read my reply in the ONE other thread I started, you will have seen
that I have tried two other power supplies with no change in the symptoms.
One of these was an Antec 480p.
There does seem to be a trend to reccomend a new power supply regardless of
the problem - Dr Quacks' miracle cure-all!
I have found similar PC faults to mine by googling etc - one guy started his
PC with a hair dryer, another by pointing a fan heater at it!
So I think Ed has it right - a cold solder joint or perhaps a dodgy track on
the mobo. I was hoping to avoid expense, but a new mobo will cost about half
the price of one of the trendier power supplies!

Ta to all for the replies.
Well a Google search of your past posts revealed that you DID NOT
mention an Antec PSU like you said you did. So once again you should
take the advice given to you here in this forum. People don't buy good
branded and spec'd PSU's just to be "trendy" like you claim. So you can
either buy a good PSU or you can continue to throw parts at it along
with your money too.
Please point out in your following posts where you said you tried an
Antec PSU.

Bob

From: GTS - view profile
Date: Sat, Feb 11 2006 3:10 pm
Email: "GTS" <[email protected]>
Groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Not yet rated
Rating:
show options

original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

..

OK I tried two new PSU's - no go.
However something very strange that I have not heard of before - I can start
the PC by blowing on it!
No Really - last night having tried to get it running umpteen times and
running out of ideas, I was feeling pretty deflated and must have let out a
big sigh / puff of air and I suddenly I got the elusive POST beep, and it
proceeded to boot into the OS as if nothing had happened. I put it down to
coincidence.
I added back all my cards and drives, rebooting after each addition - all OK
Then this morning back to square one - it would not POST. All fans on, power
and HDD lights on, but no beep / boot. Nothing ventured nothing gained I
just took of the side panel, took a big breath, and blew onto the
motherboard - and again it has started and I am using the PC to send this
post.
So now I have a real mystery - what could be preventing the POST that is
cured by me blowing the PC?
Any suggestions much appreciated

From: GTS - view profile
Date: Sun, Feb 12 2006 10:15 am
Email: "GTS" <[email protected]>
Groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Not yet rated
Rating:
show options

original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author
I'm guessing your breath is cooling something that could be initially
overheating when the machine boots up? Or your breath is getting a
fan moving that otherwise would not be moving without assistance?

Well all the fans are spinning fine, and once I get the PC going the BIOS
health information, plus Sandra and Everest in Windows, show nice low CPU
HDD anf GPU temps - I have not had any heat problems with this build.
I have used the blowing technique to boot the PC over a dozen times now -
trial and error has shown that the area best blown on is the bit between the
CPU socket and the PS2 sockets. It is a Biostar M71F mobo and I am not sure
what, in that area, can cause this behaviour. I plan to remove the mobo and
give it a good blow with compressed air as there is a lot of dust accumalted
in that area....