Path/File access error when using VBA editor

G

I've been writing a VBA program for Excel for several months. I've noticed that when I have the visual basic editor open for long periods of time - sometimes while I'm continuously using it, and others just when sitting idle, I'll get an error message "Path/File access error". The error pop-up has the title "Microsoft Visual Basic". I will then not be able to save the file. Eventually it will also tell me that autosave is disabled amongst the flurry of errors. (Fortunately, I can copy/paste the vba from excel to Word and save it there - then restore the file later)

The autosave directory and the directory that I'm editing the file from are both on a local drive, though on different partitions (C, D). IE., I don't think this is due to a remote file system that went away, which is a known problem. (I did install the registry change for that fix just-in-case, but it made no difference with Windows 2000 NOR windows XP.

Also note: I originally was running excel 2002 on Windows 2000 and saw this problem. I have since switched to excel 2003 and windows XP and continue to see the same problem. The hardware is the same in both cases, though the drive, motherboard, and memory were replaced (for different reasons). The machine (IBM T30 laptop) is mostly stable otherwise. The OS(s) were installed from scratch onto a clean drive each time (from an image). Office XP was installed remotely, via an automated script, after Office 2002 was installed. I don't know if it did an upgrade vs. a remove and replace.

Any ideas what's causing this? I'm currently running the latest service packs for XP. Not so sure regarding Office-XP. This was just installed by our IT department..

thanks in advanc
larr

M

Mark E. Philpot

I have the same problem as I am only using 64 mb ram (will
be upgrading soon!). The filepath seems to get lost. I
close the editor then saveAS the excel file eg WAS
myfile.xls now saveAs myfile2.xls. It is sometimes good to
saveAs anyway for backup.
Am using Excel2000 on windows98
regards
mark
-----Original Message-----
I've been writing a VBA program for Excel for several
months. I've noticed that when I have the visual basic
editor open for long periods of time - sometimes while I'm
continuously using it, and others just when sitting idle,
I'll get an error message "Path/File access error". The
error pop-up has the title "Microsoft Visual Basic". I
will then not be able to save the file. Eventually it will
also tell me that autosave is disabled amongst the flurry
of errors. (Fortunately, I can copy/paste the vba from
excel to Word and save it there - then restore the file
later).
The autosave directory and the directory that I'm editing
the file from are both on a local drive, though on
different partitions (C, D). IE., I don't think this is
due to a remote file system that went away, which is a
known problem. (I did install the registry change for that
fix just-in-case, but it made no difference with Windows
2000 NOR windows XP.
Also note: I originally was running excel 2002 on Windows
2000 and saw this problem. I have since switched to excel
2003 and windows XP and continue to see the same problem.
The hardware is the same in both cases, though the drive,
motherboard, and memory were replaced (for different
reasons). The machine (IBM T30 laptop) is mostly stable
otherwise. The OS(s) were installed from scratch onto a
clean drive each time (from an image). Office XP was
installed remotely, via an automated script, after Office
2002 was installed. I don't know if it did an upgrade vs.
a remove and replace.
Any ideas what's causing this? I'm currently running the
latest service packs for XP. Not so sure regarding Office-
XP. This was just installed by our IT department...

G

Hi Mark
thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the problem that I'm having is slightly different. In my case, when the error occurs, it won't save at all. I can't even do a save as - it failes and gives a message "file not saved". This problem is as if excel has disconnected from the file system completely - at least for purposes of saving files..

thanks for the suggestions though
larry

Reaction score
This is an oldish thread, but having experienced a similar problem - receiving a Path/File Access Error and being unable to save my work on several occasions - I accidentally 'fixed' the problem in the following way:

I opened a new workbook in the same instance of excel.

I added enough sheets to the new book to equal the number of worksheets in the error causing book + 1 (i.e. I had 8 sheets in the old book so I created 9)

I deleted the first eight sheets in the new book, leaving me with just "Sheet9"

I copied the old sheets across using the sheets 'Move or Copy' function and pasted them before "Sheet9" (in this way all the sheets retained their sheet numbering so the vba code referencing the sheets was not upset).

I copied the forms over into the new book.

(I had hoped that I could just move all off this back after saving the new book and closing excel, losing my previous work), however, after going through all of this, all of a sudden the error disappeared and I could save my work:thumb: - nothing lost!!

Not sure which element in that process sorted things out, but I thought it was worth posting after spending an hour looking for an answer online......

Ask a Question