Passwords Disappear in OpenOffice (Protect Worksheet, and Protect Workbook)

msnews.microsoft.com

Hi everyone,

I opened my Excel 2002 workbook in OpenOffice 2.0 today, and to my horror
both the
Protect Workbook Password, and the
Protect Worksheet Password are gone.
It still opens up in OpenOffice with Workbook and Worksheet protection 'on',
but with no passwords. All you have to do it click protection 'off'.

How do I save my Excel spreadsheet so the protection will still be there
when someone opens it in OpenOffice.

I don't have a password on the Workbook, people need to open it and and add
data and re-save it, I just don't want people editing the formulas or seeing
the hidden sheet. It's used in Excel mostly, but there are a few OpenOffice
users.

thanks,
Chris Clybor, MOS

Héctor Miguel

hi, Chris !
I opened my Excel 2002 workbook in OpenOffice 2.0 today, and to my horror both the
Protect Workbook Password, and the
Protect Worksheet Password are gone.
It still opens up in OpenOffice with Workbook and Worksheet protection 'on', but with no passwords.
All you have to do it click protection 'off'.
How do I save my Excel spreadsheet so the protection will still be there when someone opens it in OpenOffice.
... I just don't want people editing the formulas or seeing the hidden sheet.
It's used in Excel mostly, but there are a few OpenOffice users.

early this year, in the spanish groups was posted the following:
[I don't think that the this could make a difference, but...]
[excuse me if the translation is not so accurate]

regards,
hector.

=== begins translation ===
Diego wrote in message...
French policemen leave Microsoft Office for OpenOffice.org [...]
Xeon wrote in message...
The money... it hurts... millions of Euros that they are saving... I believe they doing well.

I believe we are just seeing... the niddle of the iceberg...
and the real effects, as well as the scope of this migration won't be visible tomorrow, but...
it is not my intention to create a polemic discussion, and I don't consider myself a not well thought one...
I believe that there is much more information than that we have notice... at first sight
you will find more than 5,500 articles about this in: http://tinyurl.com/534a3
this information is to read/interpret it with wide criteria and cause knowledge
besides, with common sense [although it seems to be the less common... of the senses]
who is wright?... who is wrong?... who the wolf is with lamb skin?... what -else- is there... hidden?

regards,
hector.
== == == == == == == == ==
players in the court:
1. - government's challenge [for budget problems]
2. - sun: openoffice [previously staroffice] developer company
3. - microsoft... the enemy to defeat [just to call it in a 'romantic' way] :)

1. - the necessity is announced of reduce costs for software [training, maintenance, etc.]
2. - then goes under bidding [what seems to be]... the 'solution' to 'the problem'... [openoffice]
a) certainly they won't have to invest in training... the operation [of 'the solution'] it is... so similar that [...]
b) recently, sun was 'sharing' information with microsoft for... 'improvements' [office and staroffice]
c) [suddenly]... openoffice opens up without problems microsoft office PROTECTED files <\°|°/>
d) I suppose that the above-mentioned is not been some NOT allowed practices [ethiclly, morallly and legally]
e) if 'that' practices had been applied... the government would be 'passing' them... going through the 'arch of triumph' :(
f) the solely suspicion had put them in the stool of the accused
[and in other times, even for less... they were already burning in the blaze]
and speaking of... stools and accused...
3. - first time that microsoft is in the stool of the accused :))
[I believe that I have made a mistake... YES, I am mistaken... practically, microsoft has been sat down there since...]
a) arguments are brandished in against MS as: too many virus against their O.S. etc.
b) is it comparable 100K viruses for 10 million installed systems versus 3 viruses in 5 different systems?
=> you know the figures are invented... I am just seeking to make a call to the common sense <=
c) and... if the situation went in reverse... what would be the arguments of defense of those -now- accusing?
d) etc. etc. etc.

in short, I don't think that microsoft needs help to defend [at least, not help from someone like me] :))
and as of the rest... it is the less... I leave the verdict in the interested reader's hands
[and their criteria... and their common sense... and their cause knowledge... and...]
who is wright?... who is wrong?... who the wolf is with lamb skin?... what -else- is there... hidden?

Bruce Sinclair

Hi everyone,

I opened my Excel 2002 workbook in OpenOffice 2.0 today, and to my horror
both the
Protect Workbook Password, and the
Protect Worksheet Password are gone.
It still opens up in OpenOffice with Workbook and Worksheet protection 'on',
but with no passwords. All you have to do it click protection 'off'.

How do I save my Excel spreadsheet so the protection will still be there
when someone opens it in OpenOffice.

I don't have a password on the Workbook, people need to open it and and add
data and re-save it, I just don't want people editing the formulas or seeing
the hidden sheet. It's used in Excel mostly, but there are a few OpenOffice
users.

Remember that there are freely available password crackers out there for
excel too - and very handy they are. There may be a way to make an excel
file truly "secure" ... but I doubt it.
Perhaps the question should be ... how can you make it secure enough ? :)

Could you create a data entry form ? ... that would probably stop 90% of
the multitudes from looking any further.

Bruce

(if there were any)

Harlan Grove

msnews.microsoft.com wrote...
How do I save my Excel spreadsheet so the protection will still be there
when someone opens it in OpenOffice.

You can't. Excel's worksheet and workbook protection are extremely
weak. Passwords can easily be cracked or eliminated entirely. They're
so weak OpenOffice can and does ignore them.

If your workbooks are going to be used under OpenOffice, you can't rely
on password protection. Protect worksheets and workbook without
passwords.

msnews.microsoft.com

Could you create a data entry form ? ... that would probably stop 90% of
the multitudes from looking any further.
What does this mean please? ... A 'data entry form'? .... You mean from
the Forms toolbar?

thanks

msnews.microsoft.com

Harlan Grove said:
You can't. Excel's worksheet and workbook protection are extremely
weak. Passwords can easily be cracked or eliminated entirely. They're
so weak OpenOffice can and does ignore them.

If your workbooks are going to be used under OpenOffice, you can't rely
on password protection. Protect worksheets and workbook without
passwords.

Hmmm, that's not good!
What about with the high encryption package?
Is that password (on the whole workbook) any good?
I set it to one of the RC4 encryption schemes....

thanks
Chris