Password Policy

I have been trying to set up the Password Policy for a few days now, but I
just can’t get it to work. I’ll just explain to you what I’m doing and maybe
you can give me some pointers.

When I right click on our Domain in AD Users and Computers, Click Properties
and then select the Group Policy tab, I only have Default Domain Policy in
there.

First of all, should I be able to change settings in this Policy, like when
I edit it, go into Computer Configuration, Windows Setting, Security
Settings. Should I find the Account Policies – Password Policy in there or is
the Default Domain Policy not for these types of things. I can also not
expand the Administrative Templates. I am thinking that b/c this is a Default
Policy, I am not able to change it. Or could it be that I do not have the
permissions to change it.

Secondly, in the Group Policy tab, I click New and create a new Policy
called Password Policy. I edit it and go to Computer Configuration, Windows
Settings, Security Settings, Account Policies and in Password Policy I change
all the Setting to what I want. When I go to a test user created in the Users
OU, I set the Account to change Password at next logon. However, when I log
in as this User, I can change the Password to 123 or anything else. I also
try and change the Password for a user I created in a OU I created manually
but still no Policy enforcement.

This whole thing is driving me crazy. If anyone could just help me and tell
me where to set this Password Policy, and in what way.

Any help would be much Appreciated.

Thanks

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Yes you should be able to change the Password Policies in the following
Group Policy navigation tree:

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Account
Policies\Password Policy

The following configurations can be set:

Enforce Password History
Maximum Password Age
Minimum Password Age
Minimum Password Length
Passwords must meet complexity requirements
Store password using reversible encryption
User must log on to change the password

The Password Policies should be applied at the domain level and applies to
all users in the domain. The password policy cannot be applied at the OU
level.

Please set the configurations appropriately and refresh the policy settings.

The policy should apply. Please let us know the policy settings that you
are trying to set if the policy does not apply.

Hope it helps.

Thank you,
Rashmi