Page to submit new info directly to the site from the site?

M

Mr B

Howdy,

I know ther are ways to do this but I've never set it up before so looking for some advice.

I need a way so that the management in our office can add things to the front page of our website
without having to get me involved. I'm imaging this can be done with some INCLUDE stuff to
basically pull from a text file which I can set up just fine. However, does FP (2002) have any sort
of way to allow a user to submit text to the website into a certain file so that the page can just
include it automatically without actually having to modify a file and then publish it and going
through that whole thing?

If that doesn't make sense, let me know. Heh.

THanks,
--Mike

S

Stefan B Rusynko

If you don't want them to use FP (which they should) your options are:
- Create an IFrame for their content (limited browser support)
- Create a Frame for their content page (broad support, but not browser friendly)
- Check w/ your host if they support Server Side Includes (SSI)
- Create a Database and use ASP to include the content from the server side

--

| Howdy,
|
| I know ther are ways to do this but I've never set it up before so looking for some advice.
|
| I need a way so that the management in our office can add things to the front page of our website
| without having to get me involved. I'm imaging this can be done with some INCLUDE stuff to
| basically pull from a text file which I can set up just fine. However, does FP (2002) have any sort
| of way to allow a user to submit text to the website into a certain file so that the page can just
| include it automatically without actually having to modify a file and then publish it and going
| through that whole thing?
|
| If that doesn't make sense, let me know. Heh.
|
| THanks,
| --Mike

M

Mr B

Well, the main thing is I don't want them to have access to the entire site because no one there is
PC literate enough to not delete everything. So giving them FP would be asking for trouble when
someone decides to start "playing around".

I'm envisioning have a text file that would have some plain text in it that they could somehow
change via a web page that would overwrite that text file. Then on the page it's needed I could
just do an include of the text file.

THen any time they wanted to change that text, they could just redo the text file. But, how to set
up that text file is what I don't know.

The site is Windows, IIS5, ASP, FP2002 extensions, etc.

THanks.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Since your site is hosted on Windows IIS, and you can use ASP, consider
creating a ASP application using Access, where the users would login, then
have access to add or edit specific page content, based on the login ID,
etc.

--

==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.
==============================================

Mr B said:
Well, the main thing is I don't want them to have access to the entire site because no one there is
PC literate enough to not delete everything. So giving them FP would be asking for trouble when

I'm envisioning have a text file that would have some plain text in it that they could somehow
change via a web page that would overwrite that text file. Then on the page it's needed I could

THen any time they wanted to change that text, they could just redo the text file. But, how to set

THanks.

C

chris leeds

check out an app called html area:
http://www.interactivetools.com/products/htmlarea/

you could let them edit a file with this and include it via asp include or
some other server side include.

probably you'd let them edit an html page just remove everything except the
content, i.e. no head, or body tags.

Mr B said:

THanks.

C

chris leeds

I have only used it in conjunction with a shopping cart app I'm currently
enamored with and it's nice. I'd be interested in what would be involved in
having it laid over an editable text file.
maybe you should use the database wizard thingy built into FrontPage, that
way you can just call the row from the database that corresponds to the
user.

If you don't mind, keep me posted as I'm interested in using that script for
a couple of things. Or if someone feels like they've found the "ultimate"
script to add a WYSIWYG editor into a text area I'd like to hear about that
too. ;-)

Mr B said:
That looks promising. I'll have to look into that one tomorrow.

Thanks!

Ask a Question