Page orientation

Ben T

I have a 100 page document (Portrait). When I add a page within and then
change the orientation to Landscape (to add a graphic) I often get
additional blank pages. How do I add a page, change orientation without
getting additional pages or how do I delete the unwanted pages and not mess
things up?

Ben

TF

In order to switch orientation, Word has to insert a section break
immediately before and at the end of the landscape page as you cannot have
two orientations in a single section.

When a new section is started (such as a new chapter in a book), it is
customary to start a new section on the next ODD page. So if you insert the
orientation change on an odd page, Word will insert a blank even page and
start the new orientation on the next odd page.

Similarly, If there is only one side used in lanscape - the odd page, when
reverting back to portrait, Word will insert a blank even page so that the
next section starts on an odd page again!

You can control this by going to File, Page Setup, Layout tab and change the
default behaviour for how a new section starts.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
:
: I have a 100 page document (Portrait). When I add a page within and then
: change the orientation to Landscape (to add a graphic) I often get
: additional blank pages. How do I add a page, change orientation without
: getting additional pages or how do I delete the unwanted pages and not
mess
: things up?
:
: Ben
:
:

Ben T

Terry
Thanks for your help, what do I select in the Layout Section to control the unwanted pages? Maybe I am not understanding what to do there.
Ben

TF

Change the default for new sections to start on the Next Page from Odd Page.

Terry

Terry
Thanks for your help, what do I select in the Layout Section to control the unwanted pages? Maybe I am not understanding what to do there.
Ben

Ben T

Thanks Terry - That solved my problem. Have a nice weekend.
Nen