Page breaks shift after preview/setting print pref

Lara H.

I have a small database (16 pages; 659 rows/13 columns) where the page break
consistantly shifts from its forced position (i.e. I have manually placed the
breaks where needed). It is saved with new position intact, etc., but still
shifts when either reopened or after previewing and/or setting printing
preferences. Others opening the workbook from other PC have different page
break settings than mine... What is the user interface error here? :)
Thanks for any feedback, no matter how embarressing...

Jim Cone

If you have the bag filled to the brim, then just moving it can make it overflow.<g>

Each printer sees and set things up a little differently.
Even using the same printer, older vs. newer printer drivers can cause
page breaks to shift.
Different screen resolutions can also scramble things up.

You might be better off telling Excel, in page setup, to fit to 1 page wide
and to "empty" pages tall. Then just let it print.
-or-
Allow generous room around your data on each page and you probably
won't have any problems.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Lara H."
wrote in message
I have a small database (16 pages; 659 rows/13 columns) where the page break
consistantly shifts from its forced position (i.e. I have manually placed the
breaks where needed). It is saved with new position intact, etc., but still
shifts when either reopened or after previewing and/or setting printing
preferences. Others opening the workbook from other PC have different page
break settings than mine... What is the user interface error here? :)
Thanks for any feedback, no matter how embarressing...

Dave Peterson

I'm guessing that it's a difference in printers (or printer drivers).

You may want to set those manual page breaks as conservatively as possible.
Find the "worst" printer and make your pagebreak decision based on that printer.

Lara H.

Thanks for the response, Jim!

I understand the full bag metaphor! And I hadn't considered the printer
aspect of this, since it is happening before printing. Duh! Unfortunately,
I can't reduce down to one page or the data will be smaller than humanly
readable! ;-) I had told Excel to have page set up at 17 pages wide by 17
tall, then tweaked it, etc. That is the only way to make it print out in the
way "Boss" wants it. Thanks for the prompt response and generosity of info!

Lara H.

Thanks for the response, Dave!

I deffinately hadn't considered the printer aspect of this (so focused on
MAKING Excel obey me! LOL) We have everything from an OSe to HP Laserjet
3700dn here - a true plethra of choices! ::sigh:: ah well... Thanks for the
prompt response and generosity of info! Will keep coming back and seeing
whatever gems of wisdom I can glean. I have a very bad feeling this database
is going to have to move to ACCESS anyway...
--
Always learning,