P4C800-E dlx - Flakey?

Bowser

Help! Purchased this board and install XP Pro, and latest drivers from
asus. All seemed fine until I tried registering XP, and install XP updates.
No other software was loaded.
Internet working fine, but neither registration or update site would work.

Long story short - tried suggestions at MS Knowledge base, no luck.
Re-installed XP Pro, used different NIC. No luck. Ran Virus check on all
drives (3) - came back clean.
Machine sometimes boots with no video, definitely won't take XP
updates/registration, and simply acts flakey.

Tried one last time this afternoon, plugging in only (1) drive, formatting,
running virus scan with latest definitions. Still same issue.

System;
P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 2.8C
ATI 9700 Pro
1Gb (2x512) Generic RAM (worked fine in old A7N8Xdlx)
(2) PATA Drives (40gb, 120Gb)
(1) SATA Drive (120Gb)
480watt Thermal Take PS

So, is it me or is it flakey? Other suggestions welcome...

boz

LeeBos

Subject: P4C800-E dlx - Flakey?
From: "Bowser" davidatthebowsers.com
Date: 1/8/2004 3:28 PM Eastern Standard Time

[...]

Did Windows Product Activation complete OK?

Bowser

No, would not activate. I just swapped out video cards and am giving it one
more try.

The Black Wibble

Bowser said:
Update: Swapped out Video card, no go. I give.

This problem has nothing to do with the motherboard. I recall having the same problems as you and it was
because the system year/date was incorrectly set, but the date of your post is fine. Are you posting from a
different computer?

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

John Smith

It sounds like you are using an invalid xp key. Do you know for sure this
is a valid key and it hasn't been activated on another computer?

Noozer

Pull it out of the case and build it on the bench. Use only one stick of
memory and minimal anything else. If it's still flaky, swap memory sticks.
If it's still flaky start swapping other components - my bets are on the
mainboard.

Brian Downing

John Smith said:
It sounds like you are using an invalid xp key. Do you know for sure this
is a valid key and it hasn't been activated on another computer?

I've tried to activate using the same key on 3 different installs and
you get an error message specifically telling you that activation has
failed for that reason.

Hi All,

sound like your IE settings need adjusting.

Internet Options / Advanced

make sure the SSL 2.0 & SSL 3.0 options are checked

Bill

Bowser

Thanks All for your suggestions;
-Internet working fine. I followed a TID at MS site, checked out all SSL
settings, etc.but still no go.
-Registration codes are fine - I simply cannot 'connect' to the registration
server.
-Again, Internet working perfectly - Cannot patch at MS Update site.
-Swapped video cards yesterday (9800XT - Ye Haw!), reinstalled OS, still no
go.
-XP CD is fine - used it on my kids PC last night and all worked perfectly.
-Tried to flash BIOS last night, and it errored out. Double checked the new
rom, re-downloaded from ASUS, still errored out (non matching BIOS id)

I gave up, went to the local PC store, handed them the PC, told them to swap
out the board, test, and then call me - At no charge (damned if I'm going to
tear the thing apart for the 5th time this week!)

Again, thanks all for the suggestions/help

boz

Pluvious

||Thanks All for your suggestions;
||-Internet working fine. I followed a TID at MS site, checked out all SSL
||settings, etc.but still no go.
||-Registration codes are fine - I simply cannot 'connect' to the registration
||server.
||-Again, Internet working perfectly - Cannot patch at MS Update site.
||-Swapped video cards yesterday (9800XT - Ye Haw!), reinstalled OS, still no
||go.
||-XP CD is fine - used it on my kids PC last night and all worked perfectly.
||-Tried to flash BIOS last night, and it errored out. Double checked the new
||rom, re-downloaded from ASUS, still errored out (non matching BIOS id)
||I gave up, went to the local PC store, handed them the PC, told them to swap
||out the board, test, and then call me - At no charge (damned if I'm going to
||tear the thing apart for the 5th time this week!)
||Again, thanks all for the suggestions/help
||boz

Did you install the NIC card drivers off the mobo cd?? I just built
my first computer last week and didn't know you had to install those
drivers for the 'internet' to work.

Pluvious

||> asus. All seemed fine until I tried registering XP, and install XP
||updates.
||> No other software was loaded.
||> Internet working fine, but neither registration or update site would work.
||>
||> Long story short - tried suggestions at MS Knowledge base, no luck.
||> Re-installed XP Pro, used different NIC. No luck. Ran Virus check on all
||> drives (3) - came back clean.
||> Machine sometimes boots with no video, definitely won't take XP
||> updates/registration, and simply acts flakey.
||>
||> Tried one last time this afternoon, plugging in only (1) drive,
||formatting,
||> running virus scan with latest definitions. Still same issue.
||>
||> System;
||> P4C800-E Deluxe
||> P4 2.8C
||> ATI 9700 Pro
||> 1Gb (2x512) Generic RAM (worked fine in old A7N8Xdlx)
||> (2) PATA Drives (40gb, 120Gb)
||> (1) SATA Drive (120Gb)
||> 480watt Thermal Take PS
||>
||> So, is it me or is it flakey? Other suggestions welcome...
||>
||> boz

...and didn't know you had to install those drivers for the 'internet' to
work.

His internet is working. He just can't access 2 microsoft sites. (the other
billion he can access ok....)

The problem is the settings he's using for IE. I had exactly the same
problem on someone elses machine. I 'played around' with the IE settings for
an hour or so, until it finally worked. But apart from the SSL settings, I
can't remember if I changed any others. It's not hardware related, it's
software....

Bill

Bowser

Resolution - Motherboard was fried! Replaced it and everything is working
perfectly - didn't even have to reload XP! Thanks again for the help.