P3 Slot 1 cooling

Reaction score

I'm looking for some advice and opinions on my CPU upgrade.

I have an old Dell that is running a Slot 1 P3 600EB CPU and have managed to get my hands on a cheap second hand Slot 1 P3 1 Ghz CPU. The 1 Ghz CPU has a heat sink but no fan attached. Now I have looked at the current CPU in my PC and there is no fan attached to that one either. The case has an onboard extractor fan using a shroud over the CPU.

All the information I have managed to get tells me that I need a new fan to upgrade to the new 1 Ghz CPU.

Does anyone have any advice on this subject?

Also I cant seem to find a cheap compatible fan, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can provide. :confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yes, it’s a good idea to get a fan as it would originally have had one. The original one probably failed and was binned.

I can't remember what size it was but any fan that you can 'attach' will do the same job, you'll probably need to do away with the shroud.

Maplins should have something that would work and I would get one that uses a 4 pin 'piggy-back' connector.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks Muck,

I went down to Maplins earlier and the bloke on the upgrade told me that they dont stock them as they are obsolete :( most unhelpful.

The only one I could find on there website was only "Compatibility: Pentium II up to 800 MHz, Pentium III up to 800 MHz"

I have just found one on E-Bay that came on 5 mins ago, since my last post, 9 days left though. Bah no buy it now.

muckshifter

Reaction score
If you can hold on for another day, I'll take a look in my BSA box (bits-scraps-alsorts) in the workshop, I'm sure I'll have something that will do if not the correct one.

;)

Reaction score
Holding on won't be a problem as the only one I've found so far is a 9 day wait!

If ya do manage to find one, that would be sweet. Cheque will be in the post :thumb:

Thanks for the offer even if ya can't find one.

muckshifter

Reaction score
If I had the right one eKos there would have been no charge ... however, the 3 that I have are all for PII CPUs. :(

But, dispite what the 'sales person' said at Maplins they do indeed have what you need Slot 1 SECC2 CPU HSF :)

You could order off the web site or go back to your local Maplins and 'order' the part.

Now, having said that, all you really need is a good 50mm fan ... even a 60mm would do as long as you can 'fit it' to the heatsink.

STOP PRESS ... I FOUND ONE

Must get a smaller BSA box.

PM me your postal address and I'll get it to you FOC :D

Reaction score
I saw that fan on Maplins website, but it had a up to 800Mhz on the spec so I assumed it was no good.

If you've found one Muck, thats sweet as a nut, thanks alot I'll PM you my address.

As for your BSA box, I for one am glad its full of so much stuff ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sorted :)

Our Mucks is something of an unsung hero ya know. Several times in days gone by he's helped me in a similar manner.

So, I'll raise a glass to you Mr Mucks :D

(OK, you can stop blushing now ;) )

Reaction score
Not just a hero but profound as well. I was reading his CPU temp guide and found some real words of wisdom I had to quote.

If you don't have a thermometer, use this scale:
70C = Burnt Fingers
60C = Painful
50C = Hot
40C = Pleasantly Warm

rofl :D

Reaction score
Yo Mucks,

Got the heat sink and fan today. :D

I have removed the old heat sink and slapped on the new one with fan, so I'm hot to trot. I'm gonna leave it till tomorrow though as I have to flash my bios and sort out some dodge conflict with my Firewire card.

Thanks though mate as said before your a star, I'll let you all know how my first CPU upgrade goes or dosen't go when I attempt it. :eek:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice one Mucks :)

Good luck on the upgrade eKos

Reaction score
Ok guys I'm back for some more advice, you might have guessed by now that I not a "suck it and see" type of guy.;)

I've open the PC case and removed the case fan and old CPU from my existing set-up. On trying to fit the new CPU and I've encountered two problems.:confused:

1) The new heat sink has a different type of bracket, which protrudes from the back of the slot 1 case. Unfortunately those couple of millimetres makes all the difference as the slot 1 socket sit flush to the case fan and a couple of capacitors on the motherboard.

2) On the websites I have been using for information on this upgrade, the case fan is connected direct to the PSU. On my system this is not the case, the case fan is connected to the motherboard connector I was going to use for the CPU fan.

Now I maybe able to use the brackets from the existing heat sink on the new one Mucks has given me, as the fan is not compatible with the old heat sink. This will involve a bit of filing on the plastic brackets, but I maybe able to bodge it.

However this would still leave me the problem of connecting the case fan, if I use the motherboard connector for the CPU fan. Now I am no electrician so please don’t tell me to wire one to the PSU.

What do you guys think of leaving the case fan out the system?

Or any ideas of another way forward?

Sorry for the long post but I thought I would ask.:p

muckshifter

Reaction score
Yes, you can leave the case fan out of the system, however, make sure that there are no other 3pin fan connectors, if that IS the only connector, fine, it will do the job.

The original case fan is there because your original CPU did not have a fan fitted to the heat sink.

Using a 'hot glue gun' will help retain the new CPU/HS in place, you can also use it as a insulator against the capacitors, if its just the plastic casing of the HS touching the capacitors then no need. The upright plastic retainers were specific to each CPU/HS so a "bodge" to get your new one to fit is in order, use the glue gun.

Could you provide some more information on the make & model # of this Dell, I may be better to help.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help again Mucks, I will double check to make sure that there is only one connector on the MB, but thats all I could see on first glance. I will just leave the case fan out if I dont have a spare connector.

If I can get the retention clips from the original heat sink to fit the new one, I will not have a problem as they do not use a bracket fitting, so I can sit the CPU flush to the fan and capacitors. Again if not I may try your hot glue gun trick.:eek:

The Dell system I am using is as follows:

Dimension XPS B600r
P3 600EB
VC820I Motherboard
256MB ECC RDRAM PC800
nVidia GeForce Ti4200 128mb
Windows 98se

Ask a Question