Overclockers UK

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I buy alot from OC's, and they have been very good to be honest, but this recent experience has soured it a bit:

I bought some Crucial '10 th Anniversary' RAM on 29th Dec 2006 for my second Kentsfield build, and since the build I have been getting computational errors crunching WCG via Boinc - one or two units a day coming up as 'error' or 'invalid'.

Ran Memtest for a few hours without problem, but as I know from previous experience that sometimes this doesn't always find the fault, I decided to swop it for some Corsair, and since then I have had no more errors.

I therefore decide to RMA for replacement direct at Crucial, who were very helpful, but don't stock the special '10th Anniversary' RAM anymore (they offered to swop it for normal Ballistix), and suggested I swop it directly at Overclockers who still have it in stock.

So I contact OC's and they refuse to do so because its more than 28 days old - they say I have to do it with Crucial. I explained they can't do a direct swop, but they aren't interested even though they are obliged to do so under the relevant consumer legislation as they are the retailer.

Heres how the emails went:
I am having computational errors whilst running distributive compution programs, I have replaced the RAM with Corsair and all is now well - the RAM is failing under stress with memtest.
I have contacted Crucial, and although they are happy to exchange the RAM, they no longer stock 10th Anniversary RAM and would have to replace it with Ballistix instead.

They state that as you still have stock, that I should do the exchange through yourselves, as I am entitled to do under the Sale of Goods Act regarding faulty manufactured goods, as you are the supplier of the goods.

I contacted yourselves this morning and a customer services rep refused this as it is more than 28 days old.

I then went back to Crucial and told them this, and they say that it is far simpler for you to do the exchange, as they would only have to request the goods from you anyway, as they no longer stock it, to supply to me.

I wish to excersize my rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and The Sale & Supply to Consumers Regulations 2002 to return these faulty goods to yourselves as the retailer and ask for a replacement.

Regards, Ady

Reply:
Dear Mr Webb,

ok iam sorry but we cant do that after it being over the 28 days. you have to go to crucial to sort it out.

Regards,

matthew burton
Technical Support
Overclockers UK

My response:
Before I take the required legal steps, I would like you to confirm that you are refusing to comply with your legal requirements under the relevant consumer legislation.

Regards, Ady

I await a reply........

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You'll probably carry on waiting now Ady because it sounds like they do not want to honour there responsibility to you under the sale of goods act...

Lots of companys have this cooling off period set by themselves, but this does not affect your statutory rights to a refund or exchange, although if you put yourself in there position and someone asked you for a replacement product after a month I don't think you would be too happy either....

But thats not to say they are right on this matter...Only way forward is Trading standards or small claims court...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
If they don't respond, I suppose rather than go through the weary legal process, the easiest thing would be to just exchange it at Crucial for some Ballistix :rolleyes:

Not too happy at their poor response though - I have spent thousands there over the past year or so....

Edit: Just noticed that there is a £50 difference in price between the 10th Anniversary and the Ballistix :eek: - wonder if Crucial will cough up the difference?

Wondering now if I should just go for a refund instead....

Last edited:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Don't let em get away with it Ady if you have spent thousands there then bloody well take it through the small claims court, they'll think twice next time...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Well I'm certainly not going to exchange them for something worth £58 less - will see what Crucial say in the morning...

Reaction score
That's not on, Crucial generally are good at RMA's but if they don't have stock, then yeah give OCUK a firm middle finger and push them for either a refund or a replacement.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very disappointing from OCUK indeed - that was hardly a professional reply to your e-mail. It really bugs me when companies think they can make up policies that override the law, and would probably catch most people out - don't let them get away with it :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm afraid that's rather soured my opinion of them as well, and I use OCUK almost exclusively.

It doesn't matter if a product is less than 28 days old or 364 days old, if it goes faulty within the first year then it's under warranty and should be exchanged by the supplier.

I have to say I'm disappointed with OCUK in this instance.

Whenever I've purchased Crucial stuff btw, I've always bought drectly from Crucial as the delivery is usually included in the price and their mail out service is first class.

Good luck with your prob Ady.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Lets hope they see sense Ady, in your next email be sure to state how much you have spent there. The email reply looks like the tea boys, ask to have correspondence with the manager, you may find it to be more fruitful . At least then you will rightly decide if their service and standards have slipped to the point where they have lost a very very good and loyal customer. If that fails i will pop in and tell them they are crap...its only a mile from my house m8 !!!

Reaction score
Awareness of issues like these are good..
..and also having the knowledge/backbone to push forward with your complaint is great - more people need these skills!

Keep us posted Ady & Good Luck!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the support :thumb:

I have now received a response from them to my last webnote:
Dear Mr Webb,

You can either RMA it with us, which will take around 28 days for a replacement to get to you or you can RMA it with Crucial, this will take around a week.

Please advise.

Regards,
Richard Green
Technical Support
Overclockers UK
www.overclockers.co.uk

Sounds very begrudging doesn't it - anyone else get the feeling they don't really want me to send it back too them? :rolleyes:

Well, as Crucial can't supply me with an exact replacement, I am going to have to go with the 28 day turn-around at OCUK - a result that they've backed down I suppose, but looks like I'm going to have to wait a month for the privilege :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well good news there, but 28 days turnaround? Why?

They have turned around a video card I RMA'ed with them in three days before, their stance with your RAM is just sour grapes.

Still, looks like that's the only way you're going to get satisfaction.

Btw, if you mark your faulty memory in a subtle manner, like maybe with a UV pen, you'll be able to tell whether you have actually received a replacement and not your original purchase.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds like the 28 days is just to put you off, as they are specific with their dates (28 days long wait, or 7 days with someone else). At least it is getting sorted I guess :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Glad to see you got a result Ady but 28 days, thats just taking the p***

I only ever use Amazon with there most excellent customer service or CCLonline as there customer service is again fantastic...:thumb:

Looks like you gonna have to wait the full month but be caeful you don't get your old ram or another faulty batch sent to you that someone else has Rma'd...

Good luck Ady...I have never used them and after reading this I probably never will now..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Crazylegs: Are CCL good then?

I've only used them a few times and they seemed ok.

I do remember Mucks recommending them a lot.

Trouble is with OCUK is they seem to be one of the few suppliers who can provide all the stuff I want, lots of the others like Komplett and CCL seem to have a limited range.

There again, Komplett supply a much better range of cases than OCUK.

Ok, ok, I'm talking to myself and gettin' confused, lol :D

Whatever, seems OCUK have shown their true colours here, in future I think I'll try an alternative supplier.

Oh, and Novatech are good, I've used them, but again - limited range.

Ok, Kustom PC's it is then :)

Alright, I'll shut up now....

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Have to say OCUK have disappointed me a bit, after giving great service in the past in respect of accurate and quick delivery - but I suppose you never really know how good the service is until something goes wrong - the achilles heel of many a retailer :rolleyes:

Like Flops, I like OCUK because they have a much broader range than others, so I can buy all at one place, but I think next time I will shop around and get bits where I can.

I like Novatech too :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... read the small print

hehehe ... can I just say one thing here.

OCUK, and any company in the PC industry, can initiate the 28day rule ... that is the time allotted where you can claim from that said company. After that said time you can go direct to manufacturer, or, the said same companies may do so on your behalf. They are within their "rights" to do so.

Sales of goods act ... LoL

Good luck. :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thats not how it reads to me Mucks having just gone through all the relevant legislation - but no matter as here is an update:

Spoke by phone this afternoon to Richard Green who made the last RMA offer - he was actually very pleasant and after explaining everything again about Crucial being unable to provide an identical replacement, and being out of pocket if they reeplaced it with Ballistix instead, he was sympathetic and immediately gave me an RMA # and promised to try to reserve one of the 6 sets left they have in stock for me, and if not they would offer me an equivalent value replacement or refund :thumb:

So may be things will be ok after all :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Result :thumb:

I spoke to somebody personally at Overclockers when I RMA'ed my video card, it may have been the same fella.

I think the problem with the Crucial RAM was OCUK didn't seem to initially grasp Crucial had none left in stock and felt they were quite within their rights to refer you to Crucial.

Here's hoping for a positive outcome.

Ask a Question