Outlook XP Fail to Start

G

I am having a problem I have seen many other threads on in this forum but am not getting a solution that works. Office XP is failing to start. I receive the standard message and request to start in Safe Mode. Starting in Safe Mode also fails (automatic form prompt or Start | Run | Outlook.exe /safe)

Following advice to other posts, I have renamed frmscache.dat, outcmd.dat, and extend.dat to reflect new file extensions of .old. This has not corrected the problem

I have ran SCANPST.exe against my .PST file to ensure it was not corrupted, this did not correct the problem (The .PST file contained no errors

Reviewing Event Viewer, I see the follow sequence of events

Warning - A provider, OffProv10, has been registered in the WMI namespace, Root\MSAPPS10, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests

Error - Faulting application outlook.exe, version 10.0.2627.1, faulting module mso.dll, version 10.0.2625.0, fault address 0x006d3fe5

Any thoughts?

G

Additional Information:

Logging onto a existing 2nd User Account (Admin priviledges) in Windows XP and attempting to open Outlook results in a successful Open operation.

I created an additional Test account with the same priviledges of my account and Outlook also worked correctly.

The problem appears to be isolated to Outlook on my user account (Admin priviledges)

To temporarily work around this problem, I have established a new account in XP and have reconfigured Outlook XP to my POP3 settings, etc.

I have updated Office XP with SP1 & 2 and all outstanding patches/fixes.

Michael

G

George Hester

The fault you got for mso.dll is just a memory address. It really doesn't help why it occurred. Yeah mso.dll is located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office10 in your case I believe. It sounds like the profile you were using may not have had permissions correctly set in that area. Did Outlook just out of the blue stop working one day? When it stopped was it during a session in your profile or was it like that after a restart of the operating system. I suspect your follow-up was really all that could be done.

In Windows 2000 I am tempted to say always use Elevated privledges when installing a product which uses the Windows Installer technology. I don't see how it could hurt and if it don't work no love lost I spz.

Ask a Question