outlook/windows mail

Lori

I have a scanner and want to scan docs and send as attachments. I have Vista
on my laptop and when I go to attach outlook pops up not windows mail. The
attachment will not send as I do not use outlook. I have already set the
default programs to Windows mail.

Gary VanderMolen

Some scanners are hard-coded to use Outlook, but try this:
Your Windows Mail may not have all its defaults assigned.
Open the Default Programs applet, which you can access either from
the Start menu or via the Control Panel, then click the first item:
"Set your default programs."
After a few seconds, a list of programs comes up. Click on "Windows
Mail". If it doesn't respond with "This program has all its defaults"
then fix it by clicking on the option indicated by the first green arrow.

If that does not resolve the problem, use the following workaround:
Save the scanned document. Close the scanning program. Open
Windows Mail, start a new message and attach the scanned document.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)