Source: Microsoft-Windows-Search
Date: 5/29/2008 9:38:17 PM
Event ID: 3036
Task Category: Gatherer
Level: Warning
The content source <mapi://{s-1-5-21-189038056-1230993814-239210854-1668}/>
cannot be accessed.

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
Unspecified error
(0x80004005)

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Search"
Guid="{CA4E628D-8567-4896-AB6B-835B221F373F}" EventSourceName="Windows
Search Service" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32768">3036</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>3</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>24155</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>IT-Micale.hh.hrm.lan</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="ExtraInfo">

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
Unspecified error
(0x80004005)
</Data>
<Data
Name="URL">mapi://{s-1-5-21-189038056-1230993814-239210854-1668}/</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Emily Lin

Hi Scott,

Such an issue may occur under several situations. The most common causes are:
1. The indexing in the Contacts folder is incomplete.
2. There is problem with the Outlook indexing.
3. Other causes.

Let's perform the following steps to narrow down this issue and resolve the issue. Your patience and cooperation will be appreciated.

#1 check the indexing in Contacts
===============
1. In Outlook 2007, click Tools > Options > in the preferences tab, click Search Options.
2. Check 'Prompt me when search results may be incomplete because messages are still being indexed'. Click OK, OK.
3. In the Outlook Contacts folder, search for a contact. Is it say something about "indexing is incomplete"?

If so, please wait for the indexing finished. And then search items in Contacts.

If the indexing is finished and it doesn't return the correct search result, go to next step.

#2 check the item outlook.application
=====================
Based on some reports, this issue may occur if the following registry subkey is missing from the computer:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Outlook.Application

Perform the steps below to check it.

Click Start > Run > type regedit, click OK.
Expand the entry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\. And then type "ou" to quick locate the entries started with "ou". Are you able to find the entry
Outlook.Application?

If the entry exists, skip to step 3. If the entry doesn't exist, Go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > select Office 2007, click Change
and then choose Repair to repair it.

Test the issue again. What is the result?

#3 re-indexing
=============
1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\system32\fixmapi.exe, and then click OK.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Rebuild the computer's index catalog. To do this, follow these steps:

a. In Control Panel, double-click Indexing Options.
b. In the Indexing Options dialog box, click Advanced.
c. Click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild.
d. Click OK when you are prompted to rebuild the indexed locations on the computer.
e. Click Close to close the Indexing Options dialog box.

What is the result?

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Emily Lin

Microsoft Online Partner Support
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

Scott Micale

Emily,

I tried the steps you mentioned and still I am having the same issue. One
thing I wanted to ask is when you had me run %windir%\system32\fixmapi.exe
was I suppose to see anything happen on screen? I did not see anything and
was just curious if it did anything. Please direct me to what steps you
want me to take next.

Thanks
-scott

Emily Lin

Hi Scott,

Did you repair the Office 2007 installation? If not, please repair it and then test the issue.

If the issue persists, create a New User Profile to see if the issue persists.
1. Go to problematic workstation, located C:\Documents and Settings\Username, please just rename the problematic User account
Name.
2. Log off, log back the workstation. It will automatically create a new User Profile.
3. Please create some contacts to see if you can search.

Also please make a clean boot to see if the issue is related to some third party software:please follow this suggestion to narrow down this
problem:

1. Click Start menu-> Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box and press Enter.
2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup; click to clear the "Process System.ini File", "Process WIn.ini File", "Load System Services" and
"Load Startup Items" check boxes. You cannot clear the "Use Original Boot.ini" radio button.
Note: You can click the Normal Startup radio button to return to the normal Windows Startup after the test.

3. Click the "Services" tab. Check "Hide all microsoft services", click disable all. If the "disable all" is not available, please just skip it.
4. Click the "Startup" tab, click "disable all". If the "disable all" is not available, please just skip it.

5. Click OK.
6. Restart the computer. Check the issue.

Please also reinstall Windows Desktop Search to try again:

Windows Desktop Search 3.01 for Windows XP (KB917013)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...DE-49B9-4E69-9227-2206277AB7C9&displaylang=en

Hope this help.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

Scott Micale

Emily I will try and do these steps today when I get some free time.

Thanks
-Scott

Scott Micale

Emily,

Instead of renaming my user profile I went ahead and created a new user
account and logged in as that user on this machine. I then created a new
Outlook Profile and created a email account. I added some contacts and
tried doing a search and got the same problems. So it does not appear to be
a user profile. I am not at the point where I can't search my emails
either.

I went forward and did all the msconfig stuff you mentioned and after the
reboot the problem was still there. I did not re-install the Windows search
because I am running Vista Ultimate and that download said it was only for
XP. Let me know what you would like to try next.

Thanks

Emily Lin

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the download for Windows Desktop search is for Windows XP. As you are using Windows Vista, the desktop search is a built-in component in
Vista. We cannot reinstalled as the steps in my last reply.

When you search for contacts, have you first gone to the outlook contacts folder and then do a research?

Please take a screen shot of the search result when you try to search for Contacts in Outlook 2007. It is very important for us to resolve the
issue more efficiently. Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

How to take a screen shot, please follow the steps below:
a. When screen shows up, press the Print Screen key (right of F12 key) Note: nothing will happen.
b. Open MS Paint program (click Start menu > All Programs > Accessories > Paint).
c. Click Edit (menu) -> Paste or press Ctrl + V.
d. Click File (menu) -> Save. Save it as a *.jpg file and send it to me as an attachment.

At this point, perform the steps below to see if it works.

1. In Outlook 2007, go to the Contacts folder.
2. Click the down arrow button on the right of the search bar, click Indexing Status.
Does it say "outlook has finished indexing all of your items"?
3. If so, type a contact name in the search bar to search it. What is the result?

4. Click the down arrow button on the right of the search bar, click Search Options.
5. Make sure that the folders have been checked to be indexing.
6. In the field 'Instant Search pane', choose All Folder. Click OK.
7. Test the issue again. What is the result?

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

Emily Lin

Hi Scott,

According your description and the screen shot, I strongly suspect that the issue was caused that the specific Contact folder is not included in
the "All Contacts Items" list. Click the down arrow button on the right of the "All Contacts items" > Make sure that all the entries are checked >
search for the contacts again. what is the result?

Just highlight the Contacts folder (don't highlight the "all contacts items")> type in ash to search. What is the result?

If it still doesn't work, send me the following screen shot.

1. In outlook, go to the Tools menu > Options > Search Options. Take a screen shot of it.
2. Click the down arrow button on the right of the "All Contacts items". Take a screen shot of it.
3. Click the down arrow button on the right of the search bar, click Indexing Status. Take a screen shot of it.

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

Fernando

Emily,

I'm having the same problem that Scott described. When I followed your
instructions, I noticed the indexing status informing there were more than 6
thounsand items to index yet. The point is:

I did reindexed twice up to the end.
The status of indixing does not change or chage very little.
Waiting for an entire indexing each time I search is disfuncional

The problem is clearly in the indexing engine or something like that. It
happens in my emails too. I've tried all the solutions, instructions and
recommendations stated in the Help & Support data, but thus far this problem
continues.

Do you have a definitive solution for it?

Thank you.

Fernando

Emily Lin

Hi Fernando,

As you stated that your issue is caused that the Indexing is not finished, and Scott's issue is somewhat different with yours as he mentioned
that the indexing status is finished (was up-to-date). If possible, you can post it as a seperate one so that others will pay attention on your
post.

Personal suggestion:
=============
Refer to the following KB article to see if it fixes your issue.

930010 Windows Desktop Search 3.0 does not return Outlook 2007 e-mail items, and event ID 3036 is logged in the Application log
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;930010>

Also do the following steps.

1. Create a new index location via the Indexing Options in Control Panel
2. Stop and restart the Windows Search service.
=============

Regards,

Emily Lin

Microsoft Online Partner Support
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

Scott Micale

Emily,

Can you give me a little more instructions on how to create a new indexing
location?

Emily Lin

Hi Scott,

Following is the detail steps about how to create a new indexing location.

1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Indexing Options.
2. Click the Advanced button.
3. In the field of 'Index location', click 'Select New'. Choose another folder on the local hard disk.
4. Click OK, OK, Close.

5. Click Start > Run > type services.msc, click OK.
6. Find the entry 'Windows Search'. double click it.
7. Click Stop to stop the service. and then Click Start to restart the service.
8. Click OK.

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

Emily Lin

Hi Scott,

Do you mean that you have create a new indexing location and the issue persists?

Have you read my reply on 06/06/2008 01:50AM? If so, please let me know the result and then we will go next step.
Just highlight the Contacts folder (don't highlight the "all contacts items")> type in ash to search. What is the result?

If it still doesn't work, send me the following screen shot.

1. In outlook, go to the Tools menu > Options > Search Options. Take a screen shot of it.
2. Click the down arrow button on the right of the "All Contacts items". Take a screen shot of it.
3. Click the down arrow button on the right of the search bar, click Indexing Status. Take a screen shot of it.

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

ThePro

#3 re-indexing
=============
1.      Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\system32\fixmapi.exe, and then click OK.
2.      Restart the computer.
3.      Rebuild the computer's index catalog. To do this, follow these steps:

a.      In Control Panel, double-click Indexing Options.
b.      In the Indexing Options dialog box, click Advanced.
c.      Click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild.
d.      Click OK when you are prompted to rebuild the indexed locations on the computer.
e.      Click Close to close the Indexing Options dialog box.

What is the result?

Step #3 worked for me.

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Scott,

I would appreciate it if you could drop me a note to let me know the status of the issue in the thread. If you have any questions or concerns,
please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of assistance. :)

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

(e-mail address removed)> <[email protected]> <433822D9-FAFD-44A5-823B-358B64953F05

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Scott,

According to the screen shot, Outlook is not finishing to index your items. Which may cause the search in Contacts not return the properly
result.

Only search in the current Contacts folder. What is the result? Is the indexing status also not completed in the current contacts folder?

If so, we do need to wait for OUtlook to finish the indexing. Or check if there is any item corrupted in the folder which cannot finish the indexing.
Delete the corrupted item to fix the issue.

From: "Scott Micale" <[email protected]>
(e-mail address removed)> <[email protected]> <433822D9-FAFD-44A5-823B-358B64953F05

Scott Micale

Emily,

It fished indexing and still the same problem. How do I tell what might be
corrupt?

-Scott

"Emily Lin [MSFT]" said:
Hi Scott,

According to the screen shot, Outlook is not finishing to index your
items. Which may cause the search in Contacts not return the properly
result.

Only search in the current Contacts folder. What is the result? Is the
indexing status also not completed in the current contacts folder?

If so, we do need to wait for OUtlook to finish the indexing. Or check if
there is any item corrupted in the folder which cannot finish the
indexing.
Delete the corrupted item to fix the issue.

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others may learn and benefit from this issue.
rights.

--------------------
From: "Scott Micale" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Outlook search not working
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:34:19 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

Sorry this took so long to get back to you. I have attached the screen
shots you asked for.

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Scott,

I am surprise that the issue persists after performing the steps. Before we go any further, I would like to know that: Have you repaired Office
2007 (step 2 in my first reply)?

According to current situation, perform the steps below and let me know the result.

#1 Empty the search data
======================
1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Indexing Options.
2. Click Advanced.
3. In the Indexing settings tab, in the field of 'index location', copy the current location to the address bar in Windows Explorer to open it.

4. And then go to the folder Search > Data > applications > Windows. Empty this folder.
5. Test the issue again.

If the issue persists, go to step 2.

#2 Uninstall the Windows Desktop Search. And then re-install it to see if it works.

#3 Create a New Windows Account (windows XP)
=======================

If the problem still occurs, let's create a new windows account to check the problem.

1. Start the computer.
2. Click Start-> Control Panel, click "switch to the classic view" and then double click User accounts Icon.
3. Click the Add button to create a new Windows account, type the username and domain, then click next, click the other tab and select
administrator, and click finish.
4. Log off the current user and log on to Windows with the new account.

For more information: Q279783 HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;279783

From: "Scott Micale" <[email protected]>

From: "Scott Micale" <[email protected]>

From: "Scott Micale" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:12:53 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

any updates for me? I did install WDS 4.0 and it did not fix anything.

[...]

so
rights.

--------------------
From: =?Utf-8?B?RmVybmFuZG8=?= <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:49:01 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

:

[...]

newsreader
rights.

--------------------
From: "Scott Micale" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:57:05 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

Ok here are two screen shots. The first shows the contact page
with
contacts in it and then second shows where I have typed in a few
letters to
have it find one of my contacts. As you can see it finds nothing.

My Indexing status was up-to-date so nothing more to index. I
tried
the
remaining things you mentioned in the post and still the same
results.

[...]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no
rights.

--------------------
From: "Scott Micale" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:58:21 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

[...]

1. Go to problematic workstation, located CO:\Documents and

confers
no
rights.

From: "Scott Micale" <[email protected]>