Outlook MAPI Service Providers

D

Daddy

I acquired Office 2007 Enterprise under the Home Use Program.

As you know, this is one heckuva big piece of software, the vast majority of which I will likely never use. As a result, I am uninstalling those portions that I am not using. At the same time, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by uninstalling too much.

I have a vague understanding of what MAPI service providers are. What would be the consequences if I were to uninstall the Outlook MAPI Service Providers portion of Outlook 2007?

Thanks for your help.

Daddy

D

DL

Personally I'd suggest that provided your PC has adequate disk space and is
of sufficient spec to efficiently run Office, eg cpu & memory then I wouldnt
uninstall anything.
Whats installed wont do any harm, and at some stage you may decide to go
'deep' with Office

As you know, this is one heckuva big piece of software, the vast majority of
which I will likely never use. As a result, I am uninstalling those portions
that I am not using. At the same time, I don't want to shoot myself in the
foot by uninstalling too much.

I have a vague understanding of what MAPI service providers are. What would
be the consequences if I were to uninstall the Outlook MAPI Service
Providers portion of Outlook 2007?

Thanks for your help.

Daddy

D

Daddy

[Seems like when I post here I often find my answer through Google. You guys inspire me. ;-) ]

MAPI stands for the Messaging API (Application Programming Interface). However, MAPI is more than just a set of commands and functions that can be used to send messages from point to point. MAPI is actually a carefully defined set of messaging services available to all Windows programs. In fact, it has become the de facto messaging standard for Windows applications.

If two or more services are MAPI-enabled, they can share messaging tasks and data with each other. The four service providers available through Office 2007 Enterprise are:
* Microsoft Exchange Server
* Microsoft LDAP Directory (a set of protocols for accessing information directories)
* Outlook Address Book, and
* Personal Folders

Of these, the only one i will use is the Outlook Address Book, so the rest were set to 'install on first use'..

Daddy

As you know, this is one heckuva big piece of software, the vast majority of which I will likely never use. As a result, I am uninstalling those portions that I am not using. At the same time, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by uninstalling too much.

I have a vague understanding of what MAPI service providers are. What would be the consequences if I were to uninstall the Outlook MAPI Service Providers portion of Outlook 2007?

Thanks for your help.

Daddy

Ask a Question