Outlook Live

Kolin Tregaskes

Hello,

Has anyone subscribe to the new MSN Outlook Live service? I wish it had
more than 2Gb of space. Are you able to upload/import you message from
Outlook or Outlook Express? My OE message are 1.4Gb so would take an age to
upload.

If you already have Outlook 2003 or an older version of Outlook installed on
your machine how does this subscription version work with it? Or does it
act completely separately?

Kol

Roady [MVP]

You can upload it with Outlook when you have the Outlook Connector installed
that comes with the service but 1.4GB is indeed a lot. You might want to
consider removing some large attachments and wonder if you indeed need to
have all mail available on-line. For cleaning tips in Outlook see
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/cleanmailbox.htm

When you have Outlook 2003 already installed it will only install the
Outlook Connector so you will also be able to access your Contacts folder
and Calendar. Also switching between offline and on-line mode is a lot more
convenient. Older versions of Outlook will be updated; the license is
included with the subscription.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?

Kolin Tregaskes

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply. I rarely keep attachments, that is mainly mail. :)

Well, MS give you 2Gb of space they must allow you to use all that space.
;-)

I do like the sound of this, but most corporate machines don't allow you to
install software on it thus. I have had MSN Premium before and thought that
was a waste of money, especially MSN Explorer, all that was free software
put into one program. I can't believe I pay money to have 20Mb of Hotmail
space, look at what you can get now, and for free if you get a Gmail
account, anyway...

Do you know if I can upload my 1.4Gb of mail in bits, does it just sync the
mail (thus if I stop it half-way it works out where to carry on?).

It's a shame you cannot have a Outlook EXPRESS live, that would be very
useful.

Kol

-----
Kolin Tregaskes said:
Hello,

Has anyone subscribe to the new MSN Outlook Live service? I wish it had
more than 2Gb of space. Are you able to upload/import you message from
Outlook or Outlook Express? My OE message are 1.4Gb so would take an age
to upload.

If you already have Outlook 2003 or an older version of Outlook installed
on your machine how does this subscription version work with it? Or does
it act completely separately?

Kol

Roady [MVP]

Hi Kol,

1.4GB of just mail? Wow, that is pretty cool (in a scary way, but still...)

I have MSN Premium as well which also has the connector and allows you to
sign in on some sites for exclusive content like Encarta on-line. MSN
Premium has 2GB of e-mail as well. If your account hasn't been upgraded yet
you should contact MSN support.

You can upload your mail in bits by dragging it from your local folder to
your on-line folder.

OE Live? I don't see how that can be useful. Outlook Live includes a license
for Outlook and you already get OE with Windows. The benefit of having MOOL
is that you can connect to your Calendar and Contacts on-line. These are
both things that OE doesn't support. If you just want a big mailbox and be
able to connect with it in OE you can use Hotmail Plus. Remember that you
can only upload files with the Outlook Connector.

--

Kolin Tregaskes said:
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply. I rarely keep attachments, that is mainly mail.
:)

Kolin Tregaskes said:
Hello,

Has anyone subscribe to the new MSN Outlook Live service? I wish it had
more than 2Gb of space. Are you able to upload/import you message from
Outlook or Outlook Express? My OE message are 1.4Gb so would take an
age to upload.

If you already have Outlook 2003 or an older version of Outlook
installed on your machine how does this subscription version work with
it? Or does it act completely separately?

Kol

Kolin Tregaskes

Hi again,

I say OE Live as I prefer OE as a mail program over Outlook, but like
Calendar, Contacts, Tasks etc. from Outlook, but that was a discussion I had
on the MS newsgroups a some time ago and no one understood.

It's a shame there is no trial available of this service. I don't like
signing up for things for a year and do knowing much about it. I'm sure
I'll think of lots of questions but one little point was whether you can
upload messages rules?

1.4Gb mail: Yep, well that has been cut down 3 times over the last year
too. :)

I'm sure I've left some attachments in there, but not many I think it's more
down to lengthy threads with people and my mailing list, they tend to grow a
lot. I presume my OE messages will be the same size when I import them into
Outlook?

Kol

Roady said:
[...]

Perhaps this KB article will answer a lot of your questions;
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=892455

The messages may become a bit bigger as Outlook adds more properties to the
messages but I can't give you any hard numbers on that.

Tip; use export from within OE instead of import from within Outlook to
retain the received date.

--

Kolin Tregaskes said:
[...]

in message You can upload it with Outlook when you have the Outlook Connector
[...]

Thanks for that, it answers a free, bar not whether I can upload my rules.
:-(

Kol