Outlook Express spellcheck language

J

James Gilman

Suddenly my spellchecker in Outlook Express is based on French. When I look in the options under spelling, French is the only language option I can choose. I want to use English.

R

Richard in AZ

Suddenly my spellchecker in Outlook Express is based on French. When I look in the options under
spelling, French is the only >language option I can choose. I want to use English.

If you install Office 2007, spell checking in Outlook Express may not work as expected, unless you
want spell check in French. :) This is because Office 2007 uses new proofing tools and OE can't use
them because it's designed to use the older tools.

It's easy to fix: install just the proofing tools from your previous version of Office (using the
custom install option). You can get them from any older Office suite or application - including
FrontPage, Publisher or standalone versions of Word, Excel, or Outlook.

To install just the proofing tools from Office 2003, run Office setup and choose the custom option.
Uncheck all programs in the list and add a check to choose the options at the bottom of the programs
list. No the nest screen, set each top level item to be Not Available (red X icon). Expand the
Office Shared Features branch and locate Proofing tools in the list. Expand proofing tools and
choose English, setting it to Run from my computer. Finish the installation.

Once installed, restart OE - go to Tools, Options and verify Spelling is configured to use the
correct English dictionary.

Or go to http://www.tinyspell.m6.net/ and download Tinyspell. This will give your OE a spell
checker that works as you type.

Ask a Question