Outlook Express Newsreader

J

Jay Gustafson

Hello,

My question applies to the Outlook Express Newsreader. Actually, I have two questions. I do use "Outlook" for my e-mails, but the only news reader in my computer that I knew would be in it was "Outlook Express Newsreader". Does Outlook have it's own newsreader, or does everyones newsreader default to the one that's with Express?

Also, for some reason my messages in newreader don't refresh. When I'm in microsoft.public.outlook, if I stay in it all day, I won't see any new or updated posts. So what I do is, I click into another group, then I click back to this group, then it does show the new additions.

Now I do have it set to grab new ones when Newsreader is open, and it is checked to send/recieve at one minute intervals. But for some reason it isn't doign that.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jay

J

Jamie Hart

First of all, Outlook Express newsreader is the only default newsreader in Windows. I think there are others you can download.

Second, what you explained as your method of refreshing is exactly what I do. Not very convienent is it?
Hello,

My question applies to the Outlook Express Newsreader. Actually, I have two questions. I do use "Outlook" for my e-mails, but the only news reader in my computer that I knew would be in it was "Outlook Express Newsreader". Does Outlook have it's own newsreader, or does everyones newsreader default to the one that's with Express?

Also, for some reason my messages in newreader don't refresh. When I'm in microsoft.public.outlook, if I stay in it all day, I won't see any new or updated posts. So what I do is, I click into another group, then I click back to this group, then it does show the new additions.

Now I do have it set to grab new ones when Newsreader is open, and it is checked to send/recieve at one minute intervals. But for some reason it isn't doign that.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jay

R

Roady [MVP]

Yes, Outlook isn't a newsreader and is using OE for that. To update a group
press the Headers button or Tools-> Get next x headers...

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks
-Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1

-----
Hello,

My question applies to the Outlook Express Newsreader. Actually, I have two
questions. I do use "Outlook" for my e-mails, but the only news reader in
my computer that I knew would be in it was "Outlook Express Newsreader".
Does Outlook have it's own newsreader, or does everyones newsreader default
to the one that's with Express?

Also, for some reason my messages in newreader don't refresh. When I'm in
microsoft.public.outlook, if I stay in it all day, I won't see any new or
updated posts. So what I do is, I click into another group, then I click
back to this group, then it does show the new additions.

Now I do have it set to grab new ones when Newsreader is open, and it is
checked to send/recieve at one minute intervals. But for some reason it
isn't doign that.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jay

J

Jay Gustafson

It is a pain. I would be nice if Newreader acted just like Outlook would. Oh well :) Can you suggest any newsreaders that I could download? I can do it myself, but I'd like to know if there is one specifically that you love & why.

Thanks again.
Jay
First of all, Outlook Express newsreader is the only default newsreader in Windows. I think there are others you can download.

Second, what you explained as your method of refreshing is exactly what I do. Not very convienent is it?
Hello,

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jay

J

Jay Gustafson

Robert,

Thanks. I didn't know what that button was for, but I will continue to use
it instead of moving from to another group then back. But even so, would be
nice if it was automatic. :)

Thanks again,
Jay

B

Brian Tillman

Jay Gustafson said:
Also, for some reason my messages in newreader don't refresh. When
I'm in microsoft.public.outlook, if I stay in it all day, I won't see
any new or updated posts. So what I do is, I click into another
group, then I click back to this group, then it does show the new
additions.

Tools>Accounts. Select your News account. Click Properties. Check the
"Include this account when checking for new messages" box. Click OK, then
Close. Click Tools>Options and check the "Check for new messanes every" box
and enter a suitable value for "minutes". OE will then poll the newsgroup
at that interval, updating the unread message count.

B

Brian Tillman

Jay Gustafson said:
It is a pain. I would be nice if Newreader acted just like Outlook
would. Oh well :) Can you suggest any newsreaders that I could
download? I can do it myself, but I'd like to know if there is one
specifically that you love & why.

WHile I like OE for its simplicity, if you frequent the binary newsgroups
where they post yEnc, alt.comp.freeware recommends Forte Free Agent. See
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

Ask a Question