Outlook Contacts View and Contact Options

SJMP

In contact options I have changed "Default "File As" order: to Company (Last,
First)

Then I go back into contact and it is still listed as Last, First.

Can someone please assist. I tried opening outlook with cleanviews switch
but that mdea no difference.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

As expected and has always been the case. Setting only applies to new
Contacts. Existing Contacts are not affected.

SJMP

So I have to export, import the settings? I have always been able to change
this setting. I just did on anther users machine. Besides these WERE the
settings and somehow got reset. I was trying to put them back as the used to
be.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
SJMP said:
In contact options I have changed "Default "File As" order: to Company
(Last,
First)

Then I go back into contact and it is still listed as Last, First.

Can someone please assist. I tried opening outlook with cleanviews switch
but that mdea no difference.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Incorrect. You have never been able to get these settings to apply to
existing Contacts. Resetting the "File As" field for existing Contacts
requires running code. Code samples have existed on the KB for years.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

SJMP said:
In contact options I have changed "Default "File As" order: to Company
(Last,
First)

Then I go back into contact and it is still listed as Last, First.

Can someone please assist. I tried opening outlook with cleanviews
switch
but that mdea no difference.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

"Again" you have provided no information. "Something happened" is supposed
to convey meaningful information to us? The code for changing the File As
field for existing Contacts is well documented in the KB. It discourages me
that you do not have the ability to use the KB and must ask us to do that
for you:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291144&Product=ol2002

I doubt this is the actual source of the problem. I suspect there is more to
this story that you have failed convey or recognize. Please free to post an
accurate and complete description of the problem of those whom you are
trying to support.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
SJMP said:
Again - I am trying to get them to be view as the ALWAYS have. Something
happened which changed the view. So if you would be so kind as to explain
what I would have to do to run this code. A KB or some steps would be very
helpful. Do you have a helpful suggestion..... thanks

:

As expected and has always been the case. Setting only applies to new
Contacts. Existing Contacts are not affected.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
In contact options I have changed "Default "File As" order: to
Company
(Last,
First)

Then I go back into contact and it is still listed as Last, First.

Can someone please assist. I tried opening outlook with cleanviews
switch
but that mdea no difference.

Emily Lin

Hi SJMP,

Refer to the following information to see if it is helpful. I suppose you are using Outlook 2007. If you are
using other versions, change the steps accordingly or let me know.

#1 If you want to make the new created contacts as "File As": Company (Last, First), refer to the steps
below
===================================
1. In Outlook, click the Tools menu > Options.
2. In the Preferences tab, click Contacts Options.
3. In the field of "Default "File As" order: Company (Last, First).
4. Click OK, OK.
5. Restart Outlook to make the settings working.
6. Create a new Contact. Does the File As show 'Company (Last, First)'?

#2 If you want to change the existing contacts as "file as": Company (Last, First), refer to the KB 291144
which Russ suggested. I tested it in Outlook 2007. It works. I re-write the steps as below.
===================================
1. In Outlook 2007, create a new Contact item.
2. Click the Developer ribbon.
Note: If you cannot find the Developer ribbon, click the Office button > Editor Options > show Developer
tab in the ribbon > click OK.

3. Click Design This Form.
4. Click the (P.2) tab to go to a blank page on the form.
5. Click Control Toolbox, click CommandButton, and then drag the button to the blank form page.

6. Right-click the new button, click Properties, and then type cmdCompanyLastFirst in the Name
box.
7. In the Caption box, type Company (Last, First), and then click OK.

8. Click View Code to open the Script Editor.
9. In the Script Editor, copy the following code:

Option Explicit
Dim strSortBy

Sub cmdLastFirst_Click()
strSortBy = "LastFirst"
UpdateContacts
End Sub

Sub cmdFirstLast_Click()
strSortBy = "FirstLast"
UpdateContacts
End Sub

Sub cmdCompany_Click()
strSortBy = "Company"
UpdateContacts
End Sub

Sub cmdLastFirstCompany_Click()
strSortBy = "Last, First (Company)"
UpdateContacts
End Sub

Sub cmdCompanyLastFirst_Click()
strSortBy = "Company (Last, First)"
UpdateContacts
End Sub

Sub UpdateContacts()

Dim CurFolder
Dim MyItems
Dim MyItem
Dim NumItems, i

' Use whichever folder is currently selected
Set CurFolder = Application.ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder

' Make sure it's a contact folder
If CurFolder.DefaultItemType = 2 Then
MsgBox "This process may take some time. You will be " & _
"notified when complete.", , "Contact Tools Message"
Set MyItems = CurFolder.Items
NumItems = MyItems.Count
For i = 1 to NumItems
Set MyItem = MyItems.Item(i)
' Make sure it's not a distribution list in the folder
' (really only applies to OL98 and OL2000)
If TypeName(MyItem) = "ContactItem" Then
Select Case strSortBy
Case "LastFirst"
If MyItem.LastNameandFirstName <> "" Then
MyItem.FileAs = MyItem.LastNameandFirstName
Else
MyItem.FileAs = MyItem.CompanyName
End IF
Case "FirstLast"
If MyItem.Subject <> "" Then
MyItem.FileAs = MyItem.Subject
Else
MyItem.FileAs = MyItem.CompanyName
End IF
Case "Company"
If MyItem.CompanyName <> "" Then
MyItem.FileAs = MyItem.CompanyName
Else
MyItem.FileAs = MyItem.LastNameandFirstName
End IF
Case "Last, First (Company)"
MyItem.FileAs = MyItem.LastNameAndFirstName
If MyItem.CompanyName <> "" Then
If MyItem.FileAs <> "" Then
MyItem.FileAs = MyItem.FileAs & " (" & _
MyItem.CompanyName & ")"
Else
MyItem.FileAs = MyItem.FileAs & _
MyItem.CompanyName
End If
End If
Case "Company (Last, First)"
MyItem.FileAs = MyItem.CompanyName
If MyItem.LastNameandFirstName <> "" Then
If MyItem.FileAs <> "" Then
MyItem.FileAs = MyItem.FileAs & " (" & _
MyItem.LastNameAndFirstName & ")"
Else
MyItem.FileAs = MyItem.FileAs & _
MyItem.LastNameAndFirstName
End If
End If
End Select
MyItem.Save
End If ' check TypeName
Next
MsgBox "Finished updating contacts."
Else
MsgBox "The current folder must be a contacts folder."
End If ' check contacts folder

Set MyItem = Nothing
Set MyItems = Nothing
Set CurFolder = Nothing

End Sub

10. Click File > close to close the script window.

11. Click 'Publish Form As'. Save it as Test to the folder 'Personal Forms Library'. Click Publish.
12. Close the new contact window and choose No to not save it.

13. And then, go to the Contacts folder which you want to change the File As field.
14. Click the File menu > New > Choose Form > choose the Test in the folder 'Personal Forms
Library', click OK.
15. Click P.2 in the toolbar > click the button "cmdCompanyLastFirst" > click OK, OK when you get
the prompt about "this process may take some time¡­".
When it finishes, the contacts items in this contacts folder should be changed "file as" as "company (last,
first)".

What is the result?

If the above information doesn't address your concerns, if you don't mind, please send the contacts to me
and I will change it for you. My Email address is (e-mail address removed). Following is the key steps
about how to send the contacts to me.
===========
1. In your Contacts folder, press Ctrl+A to choose all and then drag them to a empty folder (such as
D:\Contacts\).
2. Compress the D:\Contacts\ folder as a *.zip file. Send the *.zip file to me.
3. I will convert the contacts for you and then send it back to you.
4. You can empty the Outlook Contacts folder and then drag the contact items from *.zip back to
Outlook Contacts.

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Emily Lin

Microsoft Online Partner Support
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and
benefit from your issue.

From: =?Utf-8?B?U0pNUA==?= <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Outlook Contacts View and Contact Options
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 15:48:01 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

SJMP said:
[...]

I created the custom form as per KN 29144

Step 1 at the beginning of the KB File - New - Mail Message - so I follow
the instructions to the T. But when I selec the form from Personal Forms
Library, I have a new email form. Which is correct since thats what I did in
step 1 - but I want to change the contacts. Can you elaborate on how to
complete this. When I try to use the new form, the "new mail message" comes
up - but how do I "Click the appropriate button to update the File AS Field"
- In part 4-e of the KB it has me click "Display this page" to hide the form
page......

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

Nevermind. I got it... Thanks that KB worked perfectly.

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

Hello SJMP,

I am glad to hear that the problem has been fixed. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. It is
always my pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.