Outlook Outlook Contacts and messages

Reaction score
Oh dear - I'm feeling a bit out of my depth,:blush: having read some posts, but here goes ... (Have only limited experience with forums.)

System as follows:

AverMediaDVED EZmarker PCI Deluxe Capture card
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600/2.4Ghz/2X4Mb
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
Seagate 500GB 32M SATA2 3.5" HDDZ
Asus P5KPL - CM G31/VGA/PCIE
Asus 8400GS, 256MB, PCIE
JW 3.5" Card reader
Skymaster 3+1 ports Firewire PCI Card
Apacer 2GB DDR2-800 RAM
LG 20X DVDRW SATA 5.25" (GH20NS)

MS Office Pro 2007
AVG Free
Mozilla Firefox

Netgear router for home network
Broadband cable modem

(Hope that's everything)

Somewhat out of my depth with techno talk, but can find my way around OK and have good experience with applications.

Now - my question is - this is a new computer and I forgot to advise to transfer my contacts and Inbox for Outlook (2003) under XP SP2 somewhere for me to access with my new system. Also I had extensive favourites, not the least of which are for our trip to the UK in September. Can these be recovered from somewhere else?

I have my old HDDs installed in the new box too and can access files from there but have not been able to find where I can (if at all) get what I need.

I read the post about dual booting with XP and Vista, but I'm hesitant on that front.

I could go back to the shop (v. friendly and helpful tech staff), but it's not convenient at the moment time-wise.

Any assistance you can give would be veeeerrrrrrry much appreciated.

Cheers from OZ :wave:

Reaction score
If you still have access to the old data then recovering the stuff you need wont be too much of a problem. Firstly, your outlook should be storing all your data in a .PST file. Do a search for these on the old drives and of you find any, move them to somewhere handy. Then, launch your new outlook and use the import export function (normally under File) to import the data from the recovered PST file. The import process is wizard driven so it should be fairly easy for you to understand.

Your IE favourites are stored under C:\Documents And Settings\MyUsername\Favorites so navigate to there on your old drive (which wont be called C: anymore obviously) and copy the entire contents of this folder to (IIRC) C:\Users\MyUsername\Favorites.

Hope that helps!

Ask a Question