Outlook Outlook - Automatically print .tif attachments

Reaction score
Good afternoon!
I've been scouring the web trying to find a solution to this issue:

In Microsoft Outlook 2003, I would like to have ONLY attachments print when emails are sent to a given folder (not the message itself).

All VBA code that I could find required saving the file separately first, then printing. Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to save a separate file for the long term. Is there any way to automatically delete the saved copy once it has been printed?

Any VBA code that could be provided would be helpful - I'm new to any sort of VBA, so any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Jonathan

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
After taking a look around myself, I have to ask. Are you an administrator looking to do this or just for "fun" type of application? I have found this http://www.sperrysoftware.com/outlook/auto-print.asp

I realize that nobody really wants to pay for software. This could be the reason you're trying to write your own code to do this. I am just trying to get a feel for the direction so that I can help lead you in the right direction.

*from this forum site: https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/automatically-print-exchange-email-attachment-t1159068.html
*also: http://sysudi.blogspot.com/2009/06/outlook-print-all-attachments-at-once.html

-Surfer
I'm not a rocket surgeon, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm an administrator - looking to have our employees complete work online - email the final .tif work file to a folder for e-filing, then a paper copy of the .tif file would be automatically printed, as it is required for billing purposes. I'm trying to circumvent the need to print the email page itself (since this does not need to be filed-and currently our 'print team' is opening each email as it comes in, double-clicking to open the .tif and printing that way).

I saw that software too - but wanted to exhaust all of my options before I went down that route! Any assistance that can be provided would be GREATLY appreciated!

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Well, I think this begs the question: Do you use Exchange for processing your mail?

Other questions include:

How do you access email? Outlook, Web interface, 3rd party app
Do you have an Exchange server running?
If no Exchange Server, how would you like to implement this? This really is a closed sort of question. If you don't have Exchange running, you probably have to look into the plug in, or write your own...and that is kind of what I am gathering is going on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes - we use Exchange as our server - and email is accessed via Outlook.
All of these .tif files are managed via public folders. Once the file is worked, it will then be forwarded to a public folder. This public folder is the one that will have the macro/code/etc to automatically print to a specified printer on our server. Macro will be run from one location - the computer from which the 'print team' works.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I haven't found anything of use thus far. If I come across something, I will definitely post.

Reaction score
Its been about five years, but I used to have just such a VBA script, but I can't find it now. But it did have to save the attachment to a temporary location, then print it, then delete the temporary file. I don't think there's any other way to do it.

Reaction score
If it helps, I seem to recall that something like the default Windows Picture and Fax Viewer can be controlled by command line, meaning that a VBA shell command can be used to print the previously saved attachment.

Ask a Question