Outlook addin - how to tell an email is created from window explorer file->send to->mail recipient?

Reaction score
I am writing an outlook addin using c#.

The addin will work on the ItemSend event of inspector. In the event handler code, I will cancel the operation, then start a thread to process the mail, then close the mail. In the thread code, I call the send command on the mailitem.

My addin code works for email created from outlook explorer.

However when user tries to send files from window explorer by selecting "send to" then "mail recipient" command, a new email is created with files added as attachment. When user clicks send button on the mail, my addin code will fail to send the mail due to exception "System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): This item is no longer valid because it has been closed."

My question: How can I tell that this email is created by window file explorer, not outlook explorer in my addin code?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi,
If it's a "send to" Email when you do a Item.Copy you get an error ! you can catch this .

And if you cancel the itemsend event the Email inspector stay open and block other outlook operations.

May be with a timer you can close the currentinspector .

this is example in VB
Code:
Private Sub objOLApp_ItemSend(ByVal Item As Object, Cancel As Boolean)
    Cancel = Fire_ItemSend(Item, Cancel)
    If ItemSendCancel Or Cancel Then
        Cancel = True
        Dim CopyMail As Object
        On Error Resume Next
        Set CopyMail = Item.Copy
        If Err.Number = -2147221246 Then
        'SEND TO BY EXPLORER or OTHER OFFICE APPLICATION
        On Error GoTo 0
            Item.Save

Else
            CopyMail.Display