Outlook accessing POP3 and Exchange

Jacques

I have a site that needs the collaborative and groupware functions of
Exchange but they don't have control of the e-mail domain.

Currently, all users of this division have Outlook2003 accessing a POP3 mail
server from their ISP and an Exchange server for everything else internally.

The Outlook configuration is set to use the ISP by default for all company
e-mail, but every now and then, Outlook will attempt to send an e-mail
through the Exchange server. This causes NDR's because Exchange is not
setup with the live domain e-mail address of the company (nor can it be -
because this Exchange server is not the mail handler for the entire
company).

Is there anyway to force Outlook to always use the ISP for e-mail, but
Exchange for everything else?

Jacques

Noel All

There is a problem with Outlook 2003 where it will reply from the wrong
account if the correct account fails to connect for what ever reason, there
is a fix to this in Service Pack 2, however it does say the fix is for when
Outlook connects to SMTP type accounts so I dont know if this will help in
your situation. Here is the link to what is fixed in Outlook 2003 SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906451/

Jacques

Thanks, I'm downloading the SP's now. I'll try it and see what happens.

I guess the question is, does this mean that it will wait longer for the
POP3 connection, before it jumps to Exchange?

Noel All

Well it might not even apply in your case because it does mention SMTP
accounts, what I imagine it should do is just fail to send. Have you
considered going the whole hog and using Exchange to process the email as
well - might save a lot pf problems in the long run. Didn't I answer a post
where you were using pst as well - you could get rid of these too :)

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Is there anyway to force Outlook to always use the ISP for e-mail, but
Exchange for everything else?

No. There is no reason why you can't configure Exchange to send all mail and
set the SMTP address as the POP3 address. You can then either use a POP3
Connector to collect all POP3 mail directly into the exchange server or
continue using Outlook to collect it.
http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2005/up050203.htm#inmail

Jacques

I wouldn't be able to do that in this instance. The division that uses the
Exchange server doesn't have control of the primary POP3 server being used
for the rest of the company.

Refer to the below for details:
Newsgroup: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
Subject: Getting Exchange to forward e-mails

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Jacques said:
I have a site that needs the collaborative and groupware functions of
Exchange but they don't have control of the e-mail domain.

Currently, all users of this division have Outlook2003 accessing a POP3
mail server from their ISP and an Exchange server for everything else
internally.

The Outlook configuration is set to use the ISP by default for all
company e-mail, but every now and then, Outlook will attempt to send an
e-mail through the Exchange server. This causes NDR's because Exchange
is not setup with the live domain e-mail address of the company (nor can
it be - because this Exchange server is not the mail handler for the
entire company).

Is there anyway to force Outlook to always use the ISP for e-mail, but
Exchange for everything else?

Jacques

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

POP3 connectors don't care who has control of the pop server. They work like
a POP3 client but instead of committing it to the message store of their
client, they drop it in the pickup folder of exchange or hand it off to
Exchange's SMTP server.

http://www.slipstick.com/exs/popconnect.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Jacques said:
I have a site that needs the collaborative and groupware functions of
Exchange but they don't have control of the e-mail domain.

Currently, all users of this division have Outlook2003 accessing a POP3
mail server from their ISP and an Exchange server for everything else
internally.

The Outlook configuration is set to use the ISP by default for all
company e-mail, but every now and then, Outlook will attempt to send an
e-mail through the Exchange server. This causes NDR's because Exchange
is not setup with the live domain e-mail address of the company (nor can
it be - because this Exchange server is not the mail handler for the
entire company).

Is there anyway to force Outlook to always use the ISP for e-mail, but
Exchange for everything else?

Jacques

Jacques

I was able to resolve the problem but now the users are getting multiple
copies of new incoming e-mails.

Any thoughts.

Noel All

Are the headers different
Jacques said:
I was able to resolve the problem but now the users are getting multiple
copies of new incoming e-mails.

Any thoughts.

Jacques

Now that...I didn't know it could do. I may have to try that one.

Thank you very much.