Outlook Outlook 2010 Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have been used to manually creating .pst backup files for years but it is a pain.
Now I have Outlook 2010 there is supposed to be a facility for auto backup of mail, contacts, calandar etc.
I looked on the 'Help' page which says "
Backup Add-in and Outlook 2010

If you are using Outlook 2010, you’ll find the command for the Personal Folders Backup Add-in on the Add-Ins tab in the Ribbon. However, due to shutdown changes in Outlook 2010, the backup- add-in will never be triggered to prompt you to make a backup of your Outlook data."
I can't even find the Add-Ins tab in the Ribbon let alone the command for the Personal Folders Backup?
TJ:cry:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Method 3: Microsoft Office Outlook 2010

1.Open Outlook 2010.
2.Click the File tab on the Ribbon, and then click the Info tab on the menu.
3.Click the Accounts Settings tab, and then click Account Settings again.
4.On the Data Files tab, click Add.
5.Under Save as type, select Outlook Data File (*.pst).
6.Find the new location for your .pst file, and then click OK.
7.Select the .pst file, and then click Set as Default.
8.If this is your default e-mail delivery location, you will receive the following message:
You have changed the default deliver location for your e-mail. This will change the location of your Inbox, Calendar, and other folders. These changes will take effect the next time you start Outlook.
9.Click OK.
10.Click the .pst file that was identified in step 4 in the "How to Identify the Name and Location of Your Personal Folder File" section, and then click Remove to remove the local .pst file from your profile.
11.Click Yes, click Close, and then click OK to close all dialog boxes.
12.On the File menu, click Exit.
13.Restart Outlook.

If the .pst is your default delivery location, you will receive the following message:
The location that messages are delivered to has changed for this user profile. To complete this operation, you may need to copy the contents of the old Outlook folders to the new Outlook folders. For information about how to complete the change of your mail delivery location, see Microsoft Outlook Help. Some of the shortcuts on the Outlook Bar may no longer work. Do you want Outlook to recreate your shortcuts? All shortcuts you have created will be removed.
Click Yes to have Outlook update the Outlook Bar shortcuts so that they point to your new .pst file location, or click No to leave the shortcuts for your original local .pst file.

This is about as automatic as you can get. If you have a network location on a server, you can place the .pst on the network share and direct outlook to use that .pst file. Downside, if your network connection goes down, no more email file. Resolve the issue and try again.

If all you want to do is back up the file somewhere, you could use something as simple as http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=15155
This will allow you to create a pointer to a source file/folder and have the system make a copy to another location (alternate disk, network share, cloud storage - although many have their own back up systems for that and it cost money).

I don't know what your situation or requirements and, for that reason, I do not know how to properly consider your request. The solution for your depends heavily on your ability and configuration.

edit: Also note, as you stated above about shutting down outlook requirements for the software function...the same goes the other way. In this situation, you must have outlook shut down. A .pst file cannot be moved or copied when the program is open and using it. This means every aspect of the program. Plugins and the like.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Many thanks Surfer.
I will let you know how I get on.
PS. All I want to do is keep a backup copy of all my Outlook files on an external drive connected directly to my PC for Disater recovery.
TJ:cheers:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Many thanks Surfer.
I will let you know how I get on.
PS. All I want to do is keep a backup copy of all my Outlook files on an external drive connected directly to my PC for Disater recovery.

No worries.

External drives are a good choice. You can use SyncToy if you never remove the external drive. If you do, remember to start/stop the service accordingly.

Reaction score
Hi Surfer
Ive opted for the first solution you proposed, i.e. close Outlook then copy the .pst files to my external drive, mainly because it is simple and quick, much quicker than creating .pst backup files manualy which is what I wanted.
You would have thought Microsoft would have given Outlook a simple one click backup button!
Many thanks again.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
5.Under Save as type, select Outlook Data File (*.pst).
6.Find the new location for your .pst file, and then click OK.

I think you may have missed the point I was trying to make. This is the "automated" method. Using the wizard to export your mail causes you not to have to close the program to accomplish it, you can specify the name and location of the .pst to be created. A couple of simple clicks initiate the backup. Copying the files from their stored location is a manual method. A more automated method is to use the Microsoft Synctoy software to schedule a mirroring of your data to the external drive. Provided you follow a few simple rules, this is the most automated method.

I hope I have helped clear things up.

Reaction score
Hi Surfer, thanks for that. Away for a few days, will look at it agin when I get back.

Reaction score
Hi Surfer
I haven't yet followed all your instructions as I am a bit worried re
“8.If this is your default e-mail delivery location, you will receive the following message:
You have changed the default deliver location for your e-mail. This will change the location of your Inbox, Calendar, and other folders.”

However, I downloaded the ‘backup add in’ from
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/backupaddin.htm#outlook2010.
And the registry fix.
I now have a ‘Add ins’ ribbon with ‘backup’ on it which, when clicked, allows me to select which accounts to back up and where to put them.
I.e. my own e-mail account inc. calendar, contacts etc., my wife’s & my archived info.
It worked by creating .pst files in the location I wanted.
After instructing Outlook to do the back-up, you have to close Outlook for the back-up to work.
However it leaves the original files in their default location and creates duplicate .pst files in another ‘safe’ location.
I suppose this is similar to coping and pasting the original files so is not automatic.
Anyway it’s nice and simple for me to do.
Thanks again for your help.
TJ
:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question