outlook 2007 pst files.

MMagara

I have a group of recovered pst files that were created when the user
was using outlook 2007.
everytime I try to import these files into outlook 2007 I receive the
following error message.

" the file c:\path - Name.pst is not a personal folders files. "

I have tried the inbox repair tool
going in thru File - Data Management and adding the file.
creating a folder and adding the file.

and still cannot access the file or the emails with in the file.

If I add the file to a outlook folder I receive a message that states

"Cannot open this item. Outlook blocked access to this potentially
unsafe item."

I need to be able to retreive these emails.

Any Ideas?

Thank You
MMagara

Gordon

MMagara said:
I have a group of recovered pst files that were created when the user
was using outlook 2007.
everytime I try to import these files into outlook 2007

Don't import. use File-Open-Outlook Data file.
Why not import?

(Courtesy of Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook])

Importing an entire PST may well corrupt your profile and may create a ghost
PST that you can't close. Importing PST's will lose:
1. Custom Forms
2. Custom Views
3. Connections between contacts and activities
4. Received dates on mail
5. Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
6. Journal connections
7. Distribution Lists

Opening a PST file will preserve all of these. That is why we do not advise
people to import a native file into Outlook.

MMagara

I have a group of recovered pst files that were created when the user
was using outlook 2007.
everytime I try to import these files into outlook 2007

Don't import. use File-Open-Outlook Data file.
Why not import?

(Courtesy of Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook])

Importing an entire PST may well corrupt your profile and may create a ghost
PST that you can't close. Importing PST's will lose:
1.  Custom Forms
2.  Custom Views
3.  Connections between contacts and activities
4.  Received dates on mail
5.  Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
6.  Journal connections
7.  Distribution Lists

Opening a PST file will preserve all of these. That is why we do not advise
people to import a native file into Outlook.

Tried the above procedure. and received the same message. name.pst is
not a personal folders file.

Procedure
file - open - outlook data file

Gordon

[...]

And where are these files located?

MMagara

Don't import. use File-Open-Outlook Data file.
Why not import?
(Courtesy of Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook])
Importing an entire PST may well corrupt your profile and may create a
ghost
PST that you can't close. Importing PST's will lose:
1. Custom Forms
2. Custom Views
3. Connections between contacts and activities
4. Received dates on mail
5. Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
6. Journal connections
7. Distribution Lists
Opening a PST file will preserve all of these. That is why we do not
advise
people to import a native file into Outlook.
Tried the above procedure. and received the same message. name.pst is
not a personal folders file.

And where are these files located?- Hide quoted text -

I currently have them located on the desk top in another folder

MMagara

Don't import. use File-Open-Outlook Data file.
Why not import?
(Courtesy of Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook])
Importing an entire PST may well corrupt your profile and may create a
ghost
PST that you can't close. Importing PST's will lose:
1. Custom Forms
2. Custom Views
3. Connections between contacts and activities
4. Received dates on mail
5. Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
6. Journal connections
7. Distribution Lists
Opening a PST file will preserve all of these. That is why we do not
advise
people to import a native file into Outlook.
Tried the above procedure. and received the same message. name.pst is
not a personal folders file.

And where are these files located?- Hide quoted text -

also have them located in outlook in a folder under my mailbox.

DL

And when you run scanpst.exe on one of these files does it run or baulk?
If it baulks then likely the pst is corrupted beyond repair
How were these files 'recovered'?

[...]

Brian Tillman

MMagara said:
Tried the above procedure. and received the same message. name.pst is
not a personal folders file.

Then there's an excellent chance that whatever you did to create or move
those PSTs has ruined them beyond repair. Use Google to look for "recover
pst" or "office recovery" and purchase a tool that may do a better job than
SCANPST, since it's typical that if Outlook can't open the file, SCANPST
can't either. Some of the recovery programs you can buy allow a free trial
or at least an advistory scan to let you know if the tool can handle it.

MMagara

"MMagara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[...]

also have them located in outlook in a folder under my mailbox.- Hide quoted text -

no scanpst runs just fine.
the files were recoverd from recover my files.
I can even get them into outlook but out look is blocking opening
these files do to security it says the files could be harmful.

DL

If scanpst.exe runs on these data files with no problems, then is it
possible your IT dept in place restrictions?

The data file is physically located on your HD?
But you say you can add the data file by File>Open within OL?

[...]

Diane Poremsky

how are you trying to open them? Outlook should not give this error if you
use File, Open menu. It's possible the problem is because they are on the
desktop - move them to My Documents.