Outlook 2007 file not closed properly

Gary Watson

On Outlook 2007 on Vista I get the following message every hour or so:

"Microsoft Office Outlook: A data file did not close properly the last time
it was used and is being checked for problems. Performance might be
affected while the check is in progress."

After a while, a message pops up which says "Microsoft Outlook / Data File
Check Complete". No errors are reported on the screen (does anybody know if
this scan process has an error log on disk someplace?)

This is a new Sony Vaio which came with Outlook2007 and Vista pre-loaded.

The problem started when I ran archive on my inbox and sent mailbox
(something like 10,000 emails in each). I got some mild looking warnings
that some messages couldn't be archived (I didn't write down the exact text;
I thought it was bitching about emails flagged for follow up or something
like that).
I then ran the Compact Now function on the PST box, which is in (97-2002)
format. It is after this process that I noticed the problem.

I tried restarting Outlook, rebooting, and even un-installed the crappy
Symantec anti-virus which comes with the Sony, and nothing helped.

My next idea is to have Outlook create a new mailbox, and then try to import
this PST file into it, unless I hear a better idea.

A general compliant I have is that the Outlook error pop up should have a
hyperlink taking me to a page on Microsoft's support site for further
information. If no information was available, at least the development team
would know this box was popping up in the field. There are a lot of
deficiencies of this kind in Vista. At the very least, there should be an
error number on the pop up and a way to copy the text onto the clipboard.

At any rate, I didn't find any information at all about my error on the
Microsoft site, after manually typing in the error message.

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Do you close Outlook at all in that hour time frame?
I'd suggest you run scanpst.exe. To do so, close Outlook and verify via
the task manager that it is closed (process to look for is outlook.exe).
Then run scanpst.exe. You can find the file in \Program Files\Microsoft
Office\OFFICE12\
Select your PST and have it run against it. Then do this for the PST you
archived to as well.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

jerry

I have the same problem with outlook and the data file error and I did not do anything to create it. It just appeared. Also tried compacting file with no effect. It has occurred every time (but 1) that I've opend outlook. I often open and close quickly, so the data file review complete only seen occasionally - when I leave it open.
If you've found a cure, please share.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Tom Willett

What same problem?