Outlook 2007 can't open pst file that works fine in 2003

rfc

I recently upgraded from 2003 to 2007, and initially it worked fine. Then
suddenly it refused to launch. It turned out not to like my pst file. It
said I should repair it with Scanpst, which I did. I ran it till scanpst
could find no errors, but it still would work. It has now done this a
second time. This time I tried opening the file in Outlook 2003, and it
works fine.

Is 2007 flawed or jsut more sensitive than 2003? How can I fix the file to
2007's satisfaction?

Many thanks

rdc

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Need more information. When you "upgraded," how did you migrate your data
file? How and why are both Outlook 2003 and 2007 now accessing this same
file?

rfc

Russ,
I migrated it by copying over the pst file to the Desktop.
I have a laptop with 2003 and a desktop with 2007, they both use separate
copies of the same file. [I periodically copy from the desktop to the laptop
for security]

I really would be very grateful for some help as this has cost me well over
a day so far

rdc

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
rfc said:
I recently upgraded from 2003 to 2007, and initially it worked fine. Then
suddenly it refused to launch. It turned out not to like my pst file.
It said I should repair it with Scanpst, which I did. I ran it till
scanpst could find no errors, but it still would work. It has now done
this a second time. This time I tried opening the file in Outlook 2003,
and it works fine.

Is 2007 flawed or jsut more sensitive than 2003? How can I fix the file
to 2007's satisfaction?

Many thanks

rdc

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Sorry, but you've provided no additional information that we would need. So
you copied this file to the Desktop. My question remains: how did you
migrate it to your Outlook 2007 installation?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

rfc said:
I recently upgraded from 2003 to 2007, and initially it worked fine.
Then suddenly it refused to launch. It turned out not to like my pst
file. It said I should repair it with Scanpst, which I did. I ran it
till scanpst could find no errors, but it still would work. It has now
done this a second time. This time I tried opening the file in Outlook
2003, and it works fine.

Is 2007 flawed or jsut more sensitive than 2003? How can I fix the file
to 2007's satisfaction?

Many thanks

rdc

rdc

Russ, all I did was to point outlook 2007 at my existing data file when it
first opened. I did nothing more complex than that. I initially installed
Office 2007 next to Office 2003, but later removed 2003.

Is there something else I'm meant to have done?

"rfc" <rfc at richardcooke.co.uk> wrote in message
I recently upgraded from 2003 to 2007, and initially it worked fine.
Then suddenly it refused to launch. It turned out not to like my pst
file. It said I should repair it with Scanpst, which I did. I ran it
till scanpst could find no errors, but it still would work. It has now
done this a second time. This time I tried opening the file in Outlook
2003, and it works fine.

Is 2007 flawed or jsut more sensitive than 2003? How can I fix the
file to 2007's satisfaction?

Many thanks

rdc

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Yes. You never install two versions of Outlook on the same partition. Create
a new Outlook profile from scratch. What did you do with the PST file that
Outlook 2007 created?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

rfc said:
[...]

I really can't recall. I probably deleted it.

Meantime I have created a new 2003 foramt file and managed (I think!) to
copy over all of my data.

I can send an recieve mail. Am I likely to have any on going stability
problems or is there something else I need to do to make it all work
properly? Obviously I need to be able to retain all my data so there is
limited stuff I can do.

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

There should be no problems at all. PST files are perfectly compatible
between Outlook 2003 and 2007. The only difference between the two versions
is in the version of scanpst.exe. Outlook 2007 will usually want to run its
version of scanpst when you migrate a file from 2003, but after that, the
file should be fine for both versions. That's why I can't reproduce your
findings.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

rdc said:
[...]

Russ, where is the new version of scanpst located? I might be using the old
version.

"rdc" <rdc at richardcooke.co.uk> wrote in message
[...]

Found it! Does it do a different / beter job as the older version?

rdc said:
[...]

Can't tell if its better. Upgrades usually aren't. But it is different, and
if you are using the one from Outlook 2003 it would explain the error
messages you are getting.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]