Outlook 2003 with IMAP account

G

I have an IMAP mail account provided by my university. I can log in via the web interface (Microsoft Outlook Web Access), but I prefer to use an email client. I had been using Outlook Express, but now I have switched to Outlook 2003

The problem I have is that when I send a message, it goes in my local Sent Items folder, but not in the Sent Items folder of my IMAP account. Similarly, on startup Outlook 2003 automatically goes to my local inbox, which is useless because none of my mail is delivered there (it's instead delivered to the inbox of my IMAP account). Is there a way to get Outlook to know that I have no use for the local folders? Or to link the local folders to the IMAP folders? Outlook Express didn't have this problem: It knew that if my only mail account was IMAP, to use its inbox and sent items instead of the local folders counterparts

P.S. This is unrelated, but I was wondering about others' opinions: If you want to read your news in Outlook 2003, it starts up a separate program, "Outlook News Reader," which looks to me like it's just Outlook Express in disguise. It would have been nice to have had it integrated right into the Outlook application.

D

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

1) that's how outlook works
2) tools, options, other tab, advanced - choose the startup folder at the
top.
3) outlook uses outlook express in a news only mode for newsgroups...

Ask a Question