Outlook 2003 Vista fails to open pop3 account with attachments

Just did the upgrade from XP to Vista. Outlook 2003 worked perfectly under
XP. Under Vista, outlook 2003 will time out on any email with an attachment.
SMTP works find sending emails, with attachments, but POP3 account times out.
Interestingly, the new outlook express, Windows Messenger, that ships with
Vista works just fine..absolutley no problems there. This is not an ISP
issue, not an antivirsus issue, this is an OUTLOOK under Vista issue. No
changes have been made to the accounts. The only difference between my system
then, when it worked perfectly, and now is the upgrade to Vista. I've been
reading the net for the past few days and I see I'm not alone in experiencing
this issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Roady [MVP]

Actually this is an upgrade issue. If a reinstall and recreating the user
account doesn't fix it you''l need to do a clean install of Vista instead.

When you say a 'clean install of Vista instead' are you suggesting that I
perform the upgrade again? Or is it the case that you should wish that I
should purchase a 'full Vista Home Premium version (not the upgrade)' and
install that one. If the latter is correct then what does that say about MS
Vista upgrade. I'll try the upgrade again and let's see what happens. I'll
get back to you. Thanks for the input.

-30 C COLD in Canada Engineer

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]

-----
"Cold in Canada engineer" <Cold in Canada
Just did the upgrade from XP to Vista. Outlook 2003 worked perfectly under
XP. Under Vista, outlook 2003 will time out on any email with an
attachment.
SMTP works find sending emails, with attachments, but POP3 account times
out.
Interestingly, the new outlook express, Windows Messenger, that ships with
Vista works just fine..absolutley no problems there. This is not an ISP
issue, not an antivirsus issue, this is an OUTLOOK under Vista issue. No
changes have been made to the accounts. The only difference between my
system
then, when it worked perfectly, and now is the upgrade to Vista. I've been
reading the net for the past few days and I see I'm not alone in
experiencing
this issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Roady [MVP]

I created a guide on how to troubleshoot these issues;
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/vistaupgrade.htm