Outlook 2003 instability

We are running XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP2 Build 2600 & Outlook 2003 (11.6359.6360)
SP1.
Outlook crashes at least four times a day, there are no Outlook add-in
programs downloaded.
A tip in the UK PC PRO magazine issue 122 page 220 suggests the following
but we are concerned that we might make the situation worse.

In the Outlook directory containing outlook.exe create a file called
outlook.exe.config and paste the following text into it:-
<configuration>
<startup>
<requiredRuntime version"v1.1.4322"safemode="true" />
</startup>
</configuration>

This will apparently force Outlook to start up with the 1.1 runtime rather
than the pre-release 2 runtime that it's loading now.

Could you please check that the above is a viable solution for this problem
and that the code is correct as we have presented it, or preferably direct us
to an existing Microsoft patch that would resove this difficulty.

Roady [MVP]

Well that is not possible without providing any details about the issue.

For instance;
-what is logged to the Event Viewer?
-what type of mail account do you use?
-in case of Exchange; does cached mode make a difference?
-what version of Exchange?
-tried it with a new clean (manually configured and not by any scripts or
other means) user and mailbox?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?

Event Viewer errors 6-off, times are from 10:44:38 to 10:45:16 otherwise
identical:-
Error-07/11/2004-10:44:38-Microsoft Office 11-None-1000-N/A-ET
All expand as follows:-
Faulting application outlook.exe. version 11.0.6353.0 stamp 408f2937,
faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, stamp 00000000, debug? 0.

Mail Account: Broadband POP/SMPT (Default)

Not using Exchange Server

Yes

Thank you for your input Roady

-----
Brian R Sevenoaks UK said:
[...]

Is this for more than one machine? You say that you don't have any add-ins
installed. Doublecheck that your virusscanner or another program doesn't
integrate with Outlook.
Can you reproduce it? (step-by-step?)

--

Roady said:
Well that is not possible without providing any details about the issue.

For instance;
-what is logged to the Event Viewer?
-what type of mail account do you use?
-in case of Exchange; does cached mode make a difference?
-what version of Exchange?
-tried it with a new clean (manually configured and not by any scripts or
other means) user and mailbox?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?

-----
"Brian R Sevenoaks UK" <Brian R Sevenoaks (e-mail address removed)>
wrote in message
[...]

There are three machines networked to my Disk Online server, one running XP
Pro with the problem, one 2000 Pro with the identical version of Outlook & no
problem, one running 98SE with Outlook 2000 SP-3 (9.0.0.6627) & no problem.

As far as I am aware no other program, including the virusscanner, is
integrated with Outlook.

I have been closing Outlook after using it since I first reported the
problem & have not experienced any unexpected reboots. Prior to this the PC
just shut down for no apparent reason whilst unattended, I do not know how to
reproduce this in a controlled & recordable way.

Due to my relative inexperience, I am unable perhaps to furnish you with the
necessary depth of detailed information that you require. I can however live
with the present situation & perhaps others with more knowledge may suffer a
similar problem but be able to analise it fully.

If you can be of no further assistance due to the above, please accept my
thanks for your efforts todate.

Kind regards,

Brian