Outlook 2003 Auto-archive and archive

Robbo

Dear All,

I am trying to migrate from OE to Outlook 2003. I imported all messages from
OE to OL2003. Everything is OK, but the Archive function does not work for
me.
I know that it compares the modification date of a given message and since I
imported them yesterday every messsage has modification date set to
yesterday and there are no messages to be archived (even though some of them
are over 2 years old).
This is what I read at support.microsoft.com:

---
The following actions change the modified date and time of the message:
- Forwarding
- Replying
- Replying to All
- Editing and Saving
- Moving or Copying
---

So the Archive function may become useless because when I move a message
from a folder to a different folder the modification date gets updated and
this way it may happen that no messages will be ever archived !
This becomes a serious problem for me since my .pst file is over 4GB large
and it gets hard to back it up (which is what I do once a week).
The OE was nice with backing up because each folder was in a different
file...

So, is there any way to force OL2003 to check the receive/send date instead
of the modification date?

Regards,

Rob

Christian Goeller

Robbo, you wrote on Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:30:35 +0200:
So, is there any way to force OL2003 to check the receive/send date instead
of the modification date?

No!

You could create a new pst-file and move all items you don't need in
this new file.

File | New | Outlook Datafile

Robbo

U¿ytkownik "Christian Goeller said:
Robbo, you wrote on Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:30:35 +0200:

No!

You could create a new pst-file and move all items you don't need in
this new file.

File | New | Outlook Datafile

Thanks for quick response. That, however, still won't make the Auto-archive
function to work and I will have to move the messages manually, which might
be quite a job when someone has messages sorted in few or more folders....

Regards,

Mike

Mark R Penn

The only thing I can think of is to create a new search folder that
looks for all mail over x weeks old, and then select all and drag to a
different pst file. You can't do it automatically, because search
folders aren't really folders and so can't be archived, but at least all
your old mail will (appear to) be in one place ready for moving
manually.

However, I don't know for sure that this search doesn't use the modified
date too - I don't think it does, but try it.

HTH

Mark

Conversation: Outlook 2003 Auto-archive and archive
Subject: Re: Outlook 2003 Auto-archive and archive

User "Christian Goeller said:
Robbo, you wrote on Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:30:35 +0200:

No!

You could create a new pst-file and move all items you don't need in
this new file.

File | New | Outlook Datafile

That is the best solution and that is what I did. But now that I have some
messages in a different PST file I cannot do a Folder Search that would
search across all PST files...
It seems like OE still sounds better for me - each folder is a different
file - perfect for backing up, and searches can be done across all folders
no matter what file they are in...
Now that I imported all my messages from OE to OL2003 my PST file is 4 GB
large...

Rergards,
Mike

Brian Tillman