Outlook 2003 and Nickname List

MR-KEN

Exchange 5.5 SP4 on a Win2K Server SP4
Outlook 2003 Client

I have noticed that when users upgrade from OL2K to OL2K3, the Nickname
cache file (*.NK2) no longer works (users report that they used to be able
to type someone's first name in the To: field and now that doesn't work).
Attempting to use the nick2k.exe file to read the file doesn't seem to work
under OL2K3 either. Has this process changed in OL2K3 or does the OL2K
*.NK2 file not get used and a new one must be created?

Thanks.

Alan Sun [MSFT]

Hi,

Thanks for your posting here.

This feature is known as "AutoComplete name suggesting" function in
Outlook. Please first check that the option is checked in Outlook 2003
client according to the following steps:
1. Open Outlook.
2. On the Tools menu, click Options.
3. Click the E-mail Options button.
4. Click the Advanced E-mail Options button.
5. Check the option "Suggest names while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields.
6. Click OK three times.

If the issue persists, the .nk2 file may be corrupted. I suggest you
perform the following steps to reset the Nickname and Automatic Completion
Cache.

Please follow the steps below:
1. Close Outlook.
2. Click Start, click Search, click For files and folders.
3. Type "*.nk2" (without the quotation marks) in the search field.
4. Click Search.
5. Rename the Current_Profile_Name.NK2 file to Current_Profile_Name.OLD
6. Restart Outlook, Outlook will generate a new nickname cache
automatically.

For additional information, please refer to the following Knowledge Base
Article:
How to Reset the Nickname and Automatic Completion Cache In Outlook 2003
and Outlook 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=287623

As for the nick2k.exe tool, it is for Outlook 2002 or higher. Hence, it
should work in Outlook 2003.

Hope this helps. Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards
Alan Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support

|Subject: Outlook 2003 and Nickname List
|From: "MR-KEN" <[email protected]>
|Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:50:32 GMT
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
|Exchange 5.5 SP4 on a Win2K Server SP4
|Outlook 2003 Client
|
|I have noticed that when users upgrade from OL2K to OL2K3, the
Nickname
|cache file (*.NK2) no longer works (users report that they used to be
able
|to type someone's first name in the To: field and now that doesn't
work).
|Attempting to use the nick2k.exe file to read the file doesn't seem
to work
|under OL2K3 either. Has this process changed in OL2K3 or does the
OL2K
|*.NK2 file not get used and a new one must be created?
|
|Thanks.

MR-KEN

Thanks for the reply:

1. AutoComplete is turned on (as it is by default)
2. On a test machine, I was able to create a new .nk2 file (it only will
generate a file after you close Outlook)
3. I don't believe that nick2k.exe works with OL2K3 (I have version
1.0.0.1; version 2.0.0.1 which supportively works with OL2K3 is only
available via a support call), hence I get the following error on both an XP
and Win2K Pro machine:

"Error reading nickname cache. Perhaps the file does not exist yet"

Which is fine, as it sounds like there is no need to run this utility on
newer version of OL.

This question still remains: When going from OL2K to OL2K3, does the
Nickname file convert its names with AutoCompleate entries?
Article KB318827 indicates that it does in OL2002, by stating:
"Although the nickname entries that you created in previous versions of
Outlook may appear in the nickname cache, each nickname entry is replaced
with an AutoComplete entry during the first use of Outlook 2002."
This article suggests that the Nickname process was changed after version of
OL2K, and though the cache may have been "converted" to the OL2002
AutoComplete method, this does not seem to be the case when going from OL2K
to OL2K3.
I conclude this because the "disappearance" of the cache was one of the more
frequent feedback items from users that upgrade from OL2K to OL2K3.
I would be nice to have confirmation on this theory, however, either by MS
or other users that may have experienced this.
Thanks.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

I don't believe the cache is converted although I haven't tested upgrading
from ol2000 to 2003 in a long time. As you send messages (or reply), the
cache is created. Is there a problem letting it recreate itself with new
entries? It will be less prone to corruption if you start with a fresh
copy.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

[Posted using NewsLook NNTP add-in for Outlook]

MR-KEN

I personally don't have a problem letting it recreate the cache, but you
know how end users can be. :)

As long as I can tell them that their cache will be cleared when upgrading,
then that will suffice. I guess what I'm asking for is some confirmation
from MS in a KB article or something that states that this process happens
(how ever they choose to word it). I realize that you personally can't
provide that, so I'll consider this request closed.

Thank you very much.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

My recollection is the same. The AutoNameCheck List held only autoresolution
data (*.NICK file used by versions earlier than Outlook 2002) and functions
differently than the Autocompletion Cache (*.NK2 file, which contains both
autoresolution and autocompletion data). I do not believe NICK's were
converted to NK2's.

Alan Sun [MSFT]

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and understanding. You may have to reset the cached
files.

If you have other concerns or need further help, feel free to let me know.