Outlook 2002 hanging upon system S/D

J

John Smith

I recently have noticed that an "application not responding" message is occasionally popping
up when trying to Shut Down Windows XP Pro on my desktop system. I am using Office XP Pro
2002 and it seems that OUTLOOK.EXE is the program that is always the one not closing
whenever I check Task Manager's Services Tab. For example, when I close Outlook 2002
normally after checking my email, etc. and then check the remaining services running,
"sometimes" OUTLOOK.EXE is listed as still running and sometimes it is not. It is when it
is still listed as running (even though I closed it) that I get the "an application is not
responding" message when later trying to completely Shutdown my system. If I manually stop
the OUTLOOK.EXE service via Task Manager whenever it is still shown as running after I
closed the application, I then have no problem shutting down my system.

As a side note, this started happening only recently after a year of no problems. I also
noticed that whenever I add a bcc copy recipient on emails, Outlook does not always list
this blind copy when I close the "Select Names" box. In that case I have to select the "To"
button once again and then immediately close it for the BCC recipient's name to show up.

I also notice that I'm getting a faint squealing noise while opening Outlook for a couple of
seconds (from somewhere within my case, possibly my 1 year old hard drive) .... this
recently started about the same time as my other problems with Outlook. I do not hear this
noise when opening any other application.

Could it be that Outlook's files are located on a part of my Hard Drive's disk that is bad?
I have run all the Maxtor HD Diagnostics outside of WinXP and there are no reports of
problems.

I have also run disk cleanup and defragmenter my HD several times.

Should uninstall Outlook?

Can I do that without uninstalling all of Office XP Pro)?

Then defrag and reinstall?

Will I lose all my Contacts and email Folders if I do this?

Any help, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated ... Thanks.

C

Chris Lanier

Another problem is just that. Please dont post in all of those groups.
Your question only has to do with Outlook, not Windows XP.

J

John Smith

Chris .... please chill out ... at least I did not cross-post by sending "separate" messages
to each group.

If you can not provide constructive help, best keep off the boards please.

Thank you.

JS

C

Chris Lanier

No thanks

John Smith said:
Chris .... please chill out ... at least I did not cross-post by sending "separate" messages
to each group.

If you can not provide constructive help, best keep off the boards please.

Thank you.

JS

Ask a Question