Outline numbering in Excel?

Amanda

Is there an 'easy' way to accomplish outline numbering
similar to functionality in Word? I haven't found a built-
in tool or feature, but I'm wondering if anyone has found
or written a formula or macro which may accomplish this
functionality?

Amanda

Thanks Kevin,

That has certainly started the gears grinding in my head,
but I still have some problems with this formula.

I'm hoping to find a way to accomplish heirarchical
numbering based on heading level...
i.e. 1 First Level Heading
1.1 Second Level Heading
1.1.1 Third Level Heading
1.1.2 Third Level Heading
2 First Level Heading
2.1 Second Level Heading

Ideally, I'll be able to create a set of macros to
emulate these headings and keep the numbering updated
when I insert or delete heading entries at the same
heirarchical level. The numbering of each level can be in
different columns if necessary, I just haven't got my
head around the formula that will accomplish this.

Probably a tall order, but I'm hoping I'm not the first
person to need this functionality.

Kevin Stecyk

Hi Amanda,

Here's a post from Harlan Grove that might be of benefit to you.

From: Harlan Grove ()
Subject: Re: Word numbered outline import into Excel

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Date: 2003-07-15 14:22:29 PST

You don't need VBA, just some monster formulas. For an outline like

OLN Lvl_1 Lvl_2 Lvl_3 Lvl_4

...... (the rest follows in Google)

You can find Harlan's post here...

http://snipurl.com/3grm

I hope that helps you.

On a side note, you should only post your question in one section. I note
that your message in listed in Excel.Misc as well. Most people here scan
all sections, so you don't really achieve much, if anything, by posting in
several sections. I mention this in passing so for your future reference.

Regards,
Kevin